2023 Prospect Rankings

This further amplifies those posting here the last few days about the fucking prospect rankings not really mattering all that much when it comes to deadline deals. What matters is the opinion of the clubs you are trying to make a trade with and you can be certain that their internal rankings are indeed up to date.

Not sure if I should post here or in the trade deadline thread, but there was also a 5 min session ran on MLB tonight with Dan O’Dowd outlining numbers regarding prospects acquired at the deadline over past 5 seasons or so and what kind of impact was made by them at the MLB level. I don’t remember specifics, but the numbers were not good in terms of percentages leading to contributors at the MLB level. Even lower when looking at above average contributions by the same prospect pool at the MLB level.

Something similar to this?

1 Like

Not similar. Exactly! Thanks.

1 Like

How can Cabrera be in two places at once?

2 Likes

Multiverse

It’s not like teams are trading their “can’t miss” prospects. Most prospects traded at the deadline are guys whose avenue to the big club is blocked by established major leaguers and/or are a few years away from any possible impact.

There are very, very few “can’t miss” prospects

Luhnow went 1 for 2 when he declared Tucker and Whitley were “untouchables”

3 Likes

Poster asked if Matthews could replace Bregman at 3B in 2025. " my friend" answers:

Matthews was drafted in part because he is expected to stay up the middle at SS, 2nd or CF. That and his athleticism are why Brown made the executive decision to take him. So he isn’t likely to play 3rd. Also, I would be shocked if Matthews has a perfectly linear track to the big leagues. I expect some struggles in AA, AAA and the big leagues. I expect him to likely repeat a level as well.

If you want a third baseman, then Zach Dezenzo is likely your man. He has the potential to be a good defensive 3rd baseman with power and the ability to walk.

Imagine a Matt Chapman, with not as good a glove and possibly a little better batting average and contact rate.

1 Like

“My friend” about Melton:

A lot of talent - he is a very good athlete. Another Astros player with some concerns over contact rates.

Good body at 6’3" and about 210 - already has plus power and loves to run, very good at stealing bases (something else Brown wisely has been pushing).

He is about to turn 23, they really need to get him into AA to see how he does - he is a little old for his level.

1 Like

Absolutely agree – and his skills seem to be able to play up; not a lot of adjustment time when he moves to the next level.

Sounds like a potentiall first baseman.

Not as good a glove as Matt Chapman doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad glove.

4 Likes

I know. Bagwell didn’t have as good of a glove as Caminiti and it worked out okay.

Matthews, a play at SS:

https://twitter.com/WoodpeckersNC/status/1687253582410571777

Dude’s got an arm.

1 Like

Whoa! An acrobatic play!

1 Like

McTaggart breaks down MLB’s top 30 Astros prospects after the draft, int. signings & trades.

Biggest Jump:

Jump : Dezenzo, IF (Preseason: NR | Midseason: 5) – Dezenzo, a 12th-round pick last year out of Ohio State, posted an impressive 1.102 OPS in 31 games at High-A Asheville to start the year before being promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi. Dezenzo is 23 years old, which makes it tricky to judge his results early in his career, but he hits the ball hard and has a solid approach. He was slashing .253/.341/.445 with six homers and 23 RBIs through 39 games at Double-A while playing first, second and third base.

Fall:

Fall: Misael Tamarez, RHP (Preseason: 13 | Midseason: 30) – Tamarez is having a rough year at Triple-A Sugar Land, going 0-7 with a 5.83 ERA through 19 games (12 starts). His biggest issue has been walks – 42 in 66 1/3 innings – which is partially the result of automated strike zones. Tamarez’s fastball is still performing well, but he hasn’t got into a rhythm with multiple good outings due to the walks and long innings.

Three new draftees make the list as well as two international signees.

He also list top rated tools on the list.

I wonder where Robaina is ranked. He looks like a top prospect to me.

Here’s the first good look at the system since the draft and trade deadline. Ben’s not affiliated with any of the major outlets, but there’s no question he knows his stuff. I’d hazard a guess that these opinions align closer with the organization’s own opinions than, say, Baseball America’s would.

3 Likes