Hot Stove

You just don’t know what you’ll get with McCullers after Tommy John surgery. He may pitch great or he may never be the same again. Before the elbow injury he still has never put in 200 innings in a season. Miley was great for us up until that last month or so. His innings will be greatly missed. Harris will be greatly missed in the bullpen if he leaves too. It will be an interesting season. Having said that, I like our chances if we can get a good 3rd starter or someone internally steps up. I hope Whitley comes to camp ready and dominates in spring training.

Disappointing if Harris leaves.

Some bullpen candidates currently on the 40 man: Osuna, Pressly, Smith, Devo, James, Biagini, Perez, Martes, Emmanuel, Peacock.

Any thoughts on these guys or any others on the roster for the pen?

Emmanuel was great at times in RR but as a starter. In a perfect world, Martes would live up to his promise.

Ryu to Jays. 4yrs/80mil.

I see nothing but question marks once you get past Osuna and Pressly. Smith is solid if he can stay healthy. The question mark to me is why the club hasn’t strengthened the pen. Harris is a huge loss IMO.
But I’m also a little cranky this morning.

So the Rays might be shopping Morton. Wonder what he would cost in a trade.

I’d certainly take him back.

As much as I’d like to have him back, I don’t think the FO wants to trade away still more assets to get 1 year of Morton.

The FO should be interested.

Completely agree. No logic says pass on him.

What are you basing this on? Due to current events and in an abundance of caution optically, I am guessing one of the levers the Astros regularly pull to gain a competitive advantage on offense will be muted a bit this year.

Full year of Alvarez, maybe Tucker plays more and hits better than Reddick did last year, more than half a season of Correa(I know, big if), Alvute has a bounce back health wise, the potential is there.

Also the league had already put the clamps down on most if not all of the “extra” stuff. They had guys looking out for banging, guys monitoring cameras, ect…

The league already knew about what was going on and the only reason they are having a public investigation is because the Astros antagonized the media

I still have heard no evidence of “what was going on.” Every team steals signs or tries to.

Alvarez was human in the postseason, and if he does not make adjustments, I would not expect Superman numbers. Good luck with Tucker. I hope he shocks and surprises me.

Alvarez hit really well in the World Series, after a terrible ALCS. I don’t know if he made any adjustments, or it’s just a random small sample size, but it was good to see him bounce back on the biggest stage of them all.

I think Tucker showed his ceiling is what it is, which is a .270/.320/.500/20HR/80RBI kind of hitter. He can also run a little. Not a bad guy to have around, but he’s far from an All-Star, IMO.

Hitting will be the least of the Astros’ worries. They need to address the starting pitching situation, and shore up the pen. So far, they got worse since November, though admittedly, 2019 was a high bar.

Alvarez did hit some line drives, but his power outage continued at least at home. If the ball he hit to CF with two on the Game 7 had…

405.8 ft to the 406 mark. Sigh.

The biggest swing in the WS for me was he only punched out twice. He was a strikeout machine for a while there.

In other news, free agent pitcher Rich Hill managed to get himself arrested at the Patriots game on Saturday. Apparently his wife tried to enter with a fanny pack, which is not allowed. The Hills then tried multiple times to sneak in with the fanny pack and were ultimately asked to leave the stadium. His wife refused and was arrested. Hill then got handsy with police and was also arrested. Hill called the police ridiculous, because…well rules don’t apply to him. Over/under on how many times he told police he was Rich Hill, former Red Sock is 11 1/2

They’ll have to pull my fanny pack from my cold dead fanny.

1 Like

As my son said, an oversize bag seems like a rich hill to to die on if you as me.

The going on I was referring to is the suspicions of electronic sign stealing. I’m not completely sold on the accuracy of it either.

I’m not worried about Alvarez, for the regular season, in the slightest. Even though he wasn’t the same in the postseason, many young guys can say that after their first go around. Remember how bad Cody Bellinger was in the 2017 World Series? He’s been ok since then.