Hot Stove

Besides Ray and Archer, I’m hoping the Astros are interested in Hyun Jin Ryu, Julio Teheran, Alex Wood, or trading for Matthew Boyd from Detroit. I’d even be willing to have a reunion with Dallas Keuchel if the deal is right.

I think the real question is whether Dallas Keuchel wants to have that reunion.

It’s not really like Houston low balled Keuchel with their offers. Just going by memory here but it seems like they offered him 5 years and maybe $100mm and our qualifying offer was $18mm for a year. Highly doubt he gets $20mm a year on his next contract. He seemed pretty close with some of the guys on the team. Who knows. I wouldn’t mind having him back as our #3.

Machete sticks around.

3 Likes

Nice!

Yay!

Big fan of this signing.

I am too.

Happy to have him back.

Machete!

one less puzzle piece to worry over

Wouldn’t have minded adding Keuchel for around $18mm per year. I guess we are going to fill our rotation from within the organization.

The White Sox are making some big moves trying to improve this offseason. Meanwhile the Indians are doing the opposite. Still the Twins division for the time being.

Why do you think either the Astros or Keuchel wanted a reunion?

They probably didn’t but money changes things sometimes. Keuchel did have his best years here. Would you rather have Keuchel as your 3rd starter or one of Urquidy, McCullers or Framber? You have to try to replace 34 wins and 380 innings from Cole and Miley somehow. Greinke should pick up some of those innings and maybe one of those 3 starters or someone else will pick up the rest? None of them have proven much. Either way it doesn’t matter at this point. Hopefully we get some guys step up next year.

I do not want Keuchel back.

1 Like

He was about last on the list of available free agent pitchers I wanted as well. I can’t help but think Lunhow has a plan to improve our rotation though. Still some time left.

Not sure I understand the angst over our SP. We started last season with Verlander, Cole, Miley, Peacock, and McHugh. Swap Greinke for Cole, LMJ for Miley, the backend looks similar with a few extra rookies to consider. Not even 2020 Cole can reasonably be expected to live up to 2019 Cole. Prospectively, it’s not as good, but it isn’t that far off.

AND that team last year was in the running for best team in MLB history. The offense has a realistic chance to be better this year, so let’s look for a chance to catch lightning again, but let’s not lament anything with roster we have now.

Greinke is not an even trade for Cole, and McCullers likely won’t be in the rotation. I also read today Harris probably will sign elsewhere. Damn.