Baseball Miscellany

Disgusting. And, to think, the Astros employed him and Aubrey Huff at different points.

2 Likes

Name this 2023 Astros

Probably Abreu.

2 Likes

Itā€™s Pena.

Cabrera pointed this out in the GZ already:

Angel Hernandez Angel Hernandezā€™ing:

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1707541823433171335

1 Like

Bryce and Angel deserve each other.

1 Like

Yes it was Jose Abreu.

2 Likes

Article on all the runners running through second on force plays lately. It can look boneheaded, but thereā€™s an extra run in it if it works.

Can we get a condensed version of all that?

1 Like

I got you.

Some teams are going to try to, with runners on 1st and 3rd and less than two outs, run through 2nd base to maybe, possibly, be safe at second and force a rundown between 2nd and 3rd, therefore allowing the run to score.

This is assuming the play at 2nd is close enough that running through instead of sliding will change the outcome, and frankly is essentially one of the most painful reaches for an entire article Iā€™ve seen in some time as far as strategy goes.

3 Likes

This has been a thing sinceā€¦I donā€™t knowā€¦the 1870s. This is not a new strategy or rule.

Seen it a lot more this season than in previous years, even if ā€œnewā€ and ā€œgeniusā€ are gross exaggerations. Not too different from rounding first far enough to draw a throw and maybe get the run home.

Perhaps. But itā€™s funny to read players say things like ā€œI learned youā€™re not automatically out for running out of the baselineā€¦ā€ as if theyā€™ve had some epiphany or discovered a loophole. Welcome to Baseball 101.

I just wanna see somebody try to pull off a skunk in the outfield at the big league level

Gabe Kapler out in SF.

Heā€™s had his chances in a couple of spots, but I have no idea what to think of him as a manager.

He didnā€™t exactly have the cream of the crop to work with in SF. How much his managing has to do with it, I canā€™t say, but that team has a bunch of players who have overperformed in his time there.

1 Like

So long, Kotter.

3 Likes