Astros @ Mariners, September 27, 2023

Neris at least showed some fightback for a team which has listed all month. I anticipate a suspension given the nature of the offense

I don’t see this impacting the Astros.

1. There are enough differing opinions that it will take time to determine if a suspension is warranted.

2. There are only 4 days left in the regular season.

3. There is an appeals process that will allow extra time before any suspension starts, even if it is given then held up.

4. precedent: Yuli’s hand motion in 2017 World Series. They suspended him but allowed it to start the following regular season. I do motcsee any suspension during the post season.

I don’t think anything will come of it, but if it does, then I expect it will be at the start of the 2024 season.

1 Like

I don’t have time to get into it right now, but in Latin America homophobic slurs don’t work the same way as they do in US English. They’re broader and generally unspecific. Not a defense, not an excuse, but it’s not the same and, I think, shouldn’t be treated the same.

6 Likes

What was Yuli’s suspension for the slant-eyes gesture? And wasn’t that served at the beginning of the following season?

ETA: I see Idaho answered it.

Is it still okay to call someone a cocksucker? Seems like it shouldn’t be. Cork soaker, maybe.

There was a guy that I worked with, who was gay, he called every guy he didn’t like a cocksucker. We became pretty friends in the 5 years we worked together. At one point he heard me call someone a cocksucker and yelled “hey what’s wrong with being a cocksucker? I quite enjoy it” I kinda fumbled my words for a minute before he said “I’m just fucking with you Doyce, that guy is a fucking cocksucker”

His reasoning is that if you are gay you probably suck cock but you don’t have to be gay to be a cocksucker. I still try not to use that term, but it comes so natural in baseball that sometimes one will slip out, normally towards the umpire.

1 Like

There’s a gif of this out there.

Which I certainly don’t find amusing given the target of a George’s ire.

Certainly does not make me laugh.

Wrong now, wrong then.

And not funny.

What is clear is that Springer wasn’t suspended. He started each of the next five games following the incident, then pinch-hit and finished out the game on April 29, and started again on the 30th, leading us to today. Springer’s punishment must have been a fine and/or a commitment to attend sensitivity training

Louis CK had a similar bit along these lines.

At what point can we no longer say “you suck”?

Give me more Neris. He is out there amped up out of his mind because he wants to win and doesn’t want to embarrass himself. He isn’t out there catching phantom pop flies while the team is getting its ass kicked by opponents that are outmanned at every position.
I hope someone has told him to keep his mouth shut - admit nothing; deny everything, make them prove it.
I think someone else brought this up but it is worth mentioning again. It is racist as hell for those lily white anglo milquetoasts to pass judgment on a black Latino grown ass man.

1 Like

Neris released a statement:

https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/1707528399143784910

For those of you who can’t/won’t Twitter/X:

4 Likes

He Astros have come a long way, when it comes to PR statements. Not the abject disaster that use to be

6 Likes

Definitely 100 percent agree there.

Unless a video emerges of him clearly uttering a slur.

(which I sincerely hope does not happen because the slur did not happen)

You could really feel the love and respect Nerris has for Rodriguez last night…

1 Like

I can translate this for those of you who don’t speak Spanish. It says: Please don’t suspend me, Mr Manfred.

7 Likes

I love that Neris explains they’re good friends, and this is simply how friendly competition is expressed in their culture, and Rodriguez responds “I will never speak to him again.”

1 Like

That did not escape my notice, either.