Baseball Miscellany

100% agree.

1 Like

Someone once said never underestimate the heart of a champion.

4 Likes

Someone else said it ain’t over 'til it’s over.

They may be on life support but don’t call hospice yet.

1 Like

It’s been six years since the 2017 team. The energy level cannot be sustained over time. Which phase of Kubler-Ross’s grief response are we on? Bargaining, or acceptance?

…and it’s probably compounded by the extra grind caused by all the injuries… rehabbing from injuries, trying to play through injuries, trying to hit six run homers to carry all your teammates who are absent or struggling.

But if they’re burned out, is there a fix for it? Is one offseason enough?

2 Likes

My magic elixir for burnout was replacing the leader.

2 Likes

So last night, I was flipping around Netflix and decided to watch The Battered Bastards of Baseball, about the old Portland Mavericks independent minor league team in the 70s. I’ve seen it before, but for whatever reason I decided to watch it again.

This may sound corny, but it reminded me again of why I love baseball, and a strange calm came over me about this year’s Astros. I don’t expect they’ll make the Postseason. And that’s OK. I rooted for them when they lost 110+ games, I rooted for them when they won World Series titles, and I will certainly root for them when they are beat up, tired, worn out, and dragging ass.

These last 9 years have given us the greatest run in Astros history, and I am thankful. I beat up on them in the GZ as much as anyone, and probably still will, but in the cold light of day, I am thankful to be an Astros fan.

21 Likes

Nice!

I think I know what I’ll be watching (again) before the Stros game tonight.

I agree with all of this 1000%.

This is so well said I wish I had said it, which is my ultimate compliment.

6 Likes

Along the same lines, when Tucker yelled over to DubĂłn and laughed I was glad to see it.

A friend was reminiscing about his kid in little league as he shared an encouraging word given by the coach:

“Guys, you’re better than that.”

Still goes w/ the 'Stros.

I have mixed feelings about the messaging of the story. They paint it as this David vs Goliath story, and everyone wants to root for the underdog, but really it was David vs Goliath’s little sister. It was Low A ball, and the affiliated teams were youngsters, 18-19 years old in their first years of professional ball. The Mavericks were guys 28-30-35, most of whom had been higher level prospects, and some even were former Major Leaguers (hell, Bouton had been a 20-game winner in the Majors). They were “outcasts” and “rejects”, not because the Major League teams didn’t think they couldn’t play, but mostly because their careers topped out and there was just nowhere for them to go. The rest of the league simply had a different goal at that level of play. But what resonated with me was the reason the city of Portland embraced them. They were “our team”. These guys weren’t the property of the Chicago Cubs or L.A. Dodgers, but they were our guys. This is how I feel about the Astros. This is my team. I love them. I am proud of them.

4 Likes

On my flights this week, I watched The Last Out. The documentary chronicles the story of three Cubans who went to Central America hoping to get big baseball contracts. It didn’t work out that way for them.

It was interesting to watch and be reminded of the dreams who don’t end in the majors.

When I watched it on the plane, I didn’t realize it was a PBS POV doc.

1 Like

Much like the beloved Houston Oilers were to me (rot in hell, bud adams), win or lose, up or down, since I was 5 yrs old in ‘79, the Houston Astros baseball club has been, and will always fucking be, my team. I fucking love ‘em.
I’ll leave front-running/fair-weather/t-shirt fandom to other franchises’ fanbases (I’m looking at you, arlington mouth-breathers).

Luv ya Orange.

3 Likes

Haven’t seen that one…“Pelotero” is a documentary I remember liking and should probably rewatch during the offseason

1 Like

As my Granny used to say, it’s hell getting old.

Well said, HH.
I agree completely.

Just in case anyone had any doubt that Curt Schilling was one of the biggest pieces of shit ever in a clubhouse, he revealed that Tim Wakefield had been diagnosed with brain cancer.

Without Wakefield’s consent.

This less than a week after going full Nazi with a post all about the “Jewish Question.” Revolting human being.