Baseball Miscellany

Pretty impressive 21st year season:

The Pointer in the lineup was Aaron Pointer. Brother of The Pointer Sisters and later an NFL official (head linesman).

2 Likes

I follow Mike Acosta on The Facebook.
Heā€™s got some fantastic Astros posts.

1 Like

That year in ST, iirc, Lowell Passe proclaimed Pointer the ROY to be. Uh, no.

Richard Bleier of the Marlins went into last nightā€™s game having pitched in 303 MLB games without being called for a balk. Last night he was called for three in the same AB.

That seems like the tickiest of ticky-tack calls.

1 Like

Insane, arrogant, not accountable to anyone umpire.

3 Likes

1st one: ok, fine, thatā€™s a balk I guess
2nd one: uh, really?
3rd one: no fucking way

3 Likes

On a lighter note:

Ridiculous, but plenty slick.

If he were catching Glavine, that would be a strike.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually John Tumpane, who is generally a pretty good umpire.

Heā€™s the guy that talked the suicidal woman off the bridge in Pittsburg a few years ago while out for a jog before the game.

The first one and third one he definitely never came set. Iā€™ve watched the middle one 10 times and it sure looks like thereā€™s a pause there.

But also, if the ump says youā€™re not coming set, why the fuck do you not make sure youā€™re coming set on the next few pitches?

I am absolutely gob-smacked to learn it was him. I also consider him a good umpire and admit my reaction was somewhat knee-jerk because I have seen only brief clips and not watched the pitcherā€™s actions from start to finish all the way through.

I totally agree with your last statement, especially after the second balk call. I would have made sure the third stop was exaggerated and long.

Or at least try. The 3rd one was the exact same thing he got called for the first time.

The second one, I 100 percent agree was ticky-tack.

Mandatory posting of rulebook says about balks

Balk Rules

You canā€™t just be up there and just doinā€™ a balk like that.

1a. A balk is when you

1b. Okay well listen. A balk is when you balk the

1c. Let me start over

1c-a. The pitcher is not allowed to do a motion to the, uh, batter, that prohibits the batter from doing, you know, just trying to hit the ball. You canā€™t do that.

1c-b. Once the pitcher is in the stretch, he canā€™t be over here and say to the runner, like, ā€œIā€™m gonna get ya! Iā€™m gonna tag you out! You better watch your butt!ā€ and then just be like he didnā€™t even do that.

1c-b(1). Like, if youā€™re about to pitch and then donā€™t pitch, you have to still pitch. You cannot not pitch. Does that make any sense?

1c-b(2). You gotta be, throwing motion of the ball, and then, until you just throw it.

1c-b(2)-a. Okay, well, you can have the ball up here, like this, but then thereā€™s the balk you gotta think about.

1c-b(2)-b. Fairuza Balk hasnā€™t been in any movies in forever. I hope she wasnā€™t typecast as that racist lady in American History X.

1c-b(2)-b(i). Oh wait, she was in The Waterboy too! That would be even worse.

1c-b(2)-b(ii). ā€œget in mah bellahā€ ā€“ Adam Water, ā€œThe Waterboy.ā€ Haha, classicā€¦

1c-b(3). Okay seriously though. A balk is when the pitcher makes a movement that, as determined by, when you do a move involving the baseball and field of

1. Do not do a balk please.
5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

ā€œA balk is what I say it is, and you cannot argue.ā€

Every Umpire Ever

2 Likes

An umpire can do whatevery they want, just ask Ron Kulpa

2 Likes

Well he was the brother of The Pointer Sisters. So thereā€™s that.

Hereā€™s the Jomboy breakdown weā€™ve all been waiting for. Skip ahead to 5:00 for some split screen balk vs. non-balk calls at the end of the video. Itā€™s a real head scratcher.

3 Likes

Pujols hits 703.

Confession: I find his turning back the clock way more interesting than the Judge coverage.

12 Likes