ALDS Game 4, Astros @ White Sox

He also may have a hidden injury. His velocity dropped off a cliff in recent games.

Oh I think he has had a known injury, or at least ā€œshoulder fatigueā€. Heā€™s been on and off the IL the last two months. He hates the Astros, so Iā€™m sure heā€™ll let it fly tomorrow though.

Why? Because we did not draft him?

Probably that too, but he was one of the ones screaming the loudest about the the trash can banging. Heā€™s made no secret that heā€™s disgusted the Astros werenā€™t completely disbanded as a franchise over it.

Hopefully be can be the trashcan tomorrow

3 Likes

Come to think of it, I believe Rodon is pretty rankled by not being the number one overall. Heā€™s got a little Trevor Bauer in himā€¦just not the rapist part.

He was all the buzz for the Astrosā€™ pick the year before he was eligible. But he did not have a great final year in college.

McCullers has a 2.70 ERA on the road this season. His whip is better at home (1.19 vs 1.26), but his ERA is almost a full a run higher at home (3.51).

2 Likes

Will the dayā€™s delay give MLB time to find an umpire crew? It would be good to have one.

Plenty of time to fly Cowboy Joe and the Angel of death in to help out

1 Like

Donā€™t you dare speak that idea into the universe

2 Likes

@Bench was on target with his warning to my exuberance.

To this novice, the McCullers move feels more like a reaction (to ā€œsomeā€ shine from Games #1 & #2 being being knocked off in Game #3) rather than calmly sticking to the original plan. Boy, the memoriable, good start was fun. But itā€™s old news.

Who would have thought that the Rays would be deciding whether or not to share their popcorn with the Yanks during the rest of the playoffs, while the Astros are still playing!

We are blessed to be listening for ā€œPlay Ball!ā€.

Itā€™s only a ā€œreactionā€ if you donā€™t think ā€œstart your best available starter on normal restā€ is always the correct move

Thatā€™s Lance McCullers. You donā€™t play for game 5, you donā€™t play for the ALCS until you get there. Win the game in front of you and worry about Wednesday or Friday when it comes

1 Like

Oh, I get the logic of the move, and want it to end today!

Astros Game 4 lineup vs. Carlos RodĆ³n

Altuve 2B
Brantley LF
Bregman 3B
Alvarez DH
Correa SS
Gurriel 1B
Tucker RF
Meyers CF
Maldonado C

Am I crazy for wanting to swap Brantley and Alvarezā€¦as in put Alvarez in LF and Brantley DH?

I mean itā€™s not crazy, Alvarez hits better when he plays the field, heā€™s not that bad in the field and Lance is a ground ball pitcher. I wouldnā€™t blink twice if it was that way around

I donā€™t really want either of them out there on a wet field, but somebodyā€™s got to do it.

I think itā€™s a good idea in that you donā€™t have much of a defensive difference and you avoid losing a late inning power threat if you make a defensive replacement.

If you make a late inning defensive replacement, you lose either Brantley or Alvarezā€¦whomever is not DH. You donā€™t really want to lose either, and I donā€™t think that should be a needle mover. Is McCormick or Diaz really going to give you a better defensive leftfielder than either of those guys? I suppose it would be easier to move Brantley to RF if you wanted to pinch hit for Tucker. I just donā€™t see that as a major consideration, and I think Alvarez is better when he plays the field.