Your top 10 all-time Astros/Colt 45s

Amen

5 Likes

Obviously I agree!

3 Likes

All in favor?

I

1 Like

Speaking of Finley the 1991 team has always fascinated me for the talent it had for a worst in the NL team.

Obviously not yet ready for prime time talent, but amazing collection none the less.

Biggio, Bagwell, Caminiti, Luis Gonzalez, Steve Finley, Kenny Lofton

Mike Scott, Curt Schilling, Jim DeShaies, Pete Harnisch, Darryl Kile, Mark Portugal

Crazy.

5 Likes

The haul (Schilling, Finley & Harnisch) for Glenn Davis was ridiculous. Too bad we let a couple of them go before they blossomed into all stars.

2 Likes

I loved Finley.

A couple of years ago I found a scorecard from a game I attended where he recorded 3 OF assists.

5 Likes

Lofton, what might have been

1 Like

Too soon!

1 Like

I watched him play Triple A ball with the Tucson Toros. Still pissed he was traded.

Lofton got shafted in HOF voting and I hope the various committees give him a good look. Not saying he’s a slam dunk but he deserved better than dropping off the ballot after one year.

1 Like

I never understood that either.

It finally happened for Ted Simmons, he was one and done in the initial HoF vote but the veterans committee saw fit to include him. So there’s hope for Lofton.

For me, Lofton has always been “the one that got away”. It still makes me sad.

3 Likes

My Orioles buddy reminds me every season - Finley, Harnisch and Schilling for Davis is highway robbery. :laughing:

1 Like

He would have been so good in the Dome.

I was remembering this discussion while on Baseball Reference today and decided to refresh my memory – not on the name; I recognized Jim’s correction immediately. John does have an interesting career stat line though … 1.000 OBP and 1.000 fielding average.

1 Like

I read a short book about John recently, which by necessity was more about his prowess as an athlete before MLB. One game, 3-3, and he never had a second game because of injury.

The Paciorek boys all were exceptional athletes, and unfortunately four of the five (all except the youngest) were sexually abused by a teacher who became a local parish priest. Tom courageously told the world about the abuse in 2002. The boys never told anyone because of their shame, including their parents or each other.

2 Likes

Wasn’t one of the boys a football star at UH? Tom, it seems.

2 Likes

Tom was a starter in both football and baseball at UH. He was a DB in football and an All American OF in baseball. I do not know what, if anything, the other boys did in college. I think John signed with Houston after HS. They were from Detroit.

ETA: Younger brother Jim played football and baseball at Michigan and 48 games in MLB with the Brewers. He was a big star at Michigan in baseball. Jim was the only one of the five brothers who was not abused.

2 Likes

James Mouton sure looked like he could be a winner at AAA. As we all know, each level gets more difficult.

1 Like