Video Games

Poor imitation of the original:

5 Likes

It’s a cool trailer, but none of the graphics looked like actual game play. Just fancy replays and angles.

Finally finished Assassins Creed Odyssey, overall I really enjoyed it. I think it’s probably my third favorite AC game, behind Black Flag and AC2, ahead of Revelations, Brotherhood and Origins. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, the fighting mechanics are crisp, I loved using the bow more than any other ranged weapons in the franchise.

The story is not as good as some of the others, the Ezio games and Origins are miles ahead here. I did find myself getting invested but it’s just too long. Kind of the same thing with the open world map, it’s beautiful and diverse but it feels too big. If at all possible I used the fast travel points rather than manually going where I needed to go.

The game definitely improves on Origins biggest weakness, which is making the side quests less of a chore. In Orgins, I constantly had to just go around the map for 4-5 hours completing side quests that felt pointless and added nothing to the experience. In Odyssey, I actually like the side quests and felt like they made the world richer. Most importantly, when I was a lower level than I needed to be for the next main mission, I only needed a few side quests to level up.

Much as I enjoyed it, I’m ready for Valhalla now.

1 Like

The media embargo around CFB25 was lifted today. Many media people and youtubers went to an event at EA last week and were allowed to play the game for about 3 hours. With the embargo being lifted today, there are a ton of videos and articles talking about the gameplay out there. Everyone I have seen talk about it, has had nothing but glowing reviews for how the game feels and plays. Highest praise for the atmosphere, which to me is probably the most important part of a CFB game. I can’t wait to get my hands on this game

All I know is, if there’s a video game company that is incapable of fucking up a cherished franchise or refuses to nickel-and-dime players with microtransactions and DLC after they’ve already forked over $70-100, EA definitely does not come to mind.

“Oh, you want to use D1 players?”

I am under no illusions about EA, they have a terrible track record over the last decade.

But I am trusting the reporting, not EA. From every report I have seen, the guys making this game, from the game runner on down, are dedicated to making this game as a good and faithful as can be. The guy heading the ship is one of the leads from the last release. They have hired multiple guys that kept that game going with mods and such.

Even if the game is not great, I really don’t care honestly. As long as it’s functional and has the college teams, and lets me go through a dynasty, I will play this game a shit ton.

Unless the game is abjectively the worst game in the universe, I will play it. I have waited too long.

Btw even as Madden completely tanked, which 07 was when I stopped getting it every year, NCAA was still great to the end. Having the right guy at the helm is the most important part of game design. So I’m hopeful.

Muppets.

I have started a second play through of RDR2. I found a guide on the interwebs for an allegedly smooth 100% completion, i.e. trying to cluster activities and avoid all the back-end grinding (NTTAWWT) to finish out challenges and collection tasks, which I have tried to augment with all the missables that aren’t necessary for 100%.

So far it’s mostly working well, but with some issues. For example, at one point it has you around Flatneck Station and you are supposed to take the train to Rhodes (to visit the fence). The trouble is, you can’t take a train from Flatneck Station, so I ended up riding to Rhodes. Not a huge deal, as I took the opportunity to go to the islands in Flat Iron Lake and get the pirate hat and harvest some of the creatures there, but it’s something that I’ll need to reconsider for my guide.

Question

Anyway, to my point: does anyone remember playing the “Uncle” mission in Ch. 2 when you take the girls to town? That ends with you being recognized by Jimmy Brooks, so you borrow a horse to chase him down. At the end, you can return the horse to its owner for honor points, but here’s the rub: you end up stranded. Uncle, presumably, has taken the wagon and the girls back to camp which is where your horse is.

I don’t remember this being an issue on my first play through. Do you?

I’m pretty sure I returned the horse, but I don’t remember having to run half way back to camp before being able to call my horse. Maybe the best course of action here is just to keep the horse to ride back to camp; that way you have an extra for extra cargo capacity on hunting trips. The honor points hit can’t be that bad that it’s not redeemable by throwing back some fish or saying “hi” to people.

Alternatively, while sprinting back to camp is annoying, but it’s a good way to boost your stamina early in the game. It does fail at being “smooth”, though.

I don’t recall that particular nuance.

Were you fully bonded with the horse? I think that increases your whistling range but it might not reach all the way to camp.

What I do remember was “Should I have killed you, Jimmy Brooks?”

(On my second playthrough I made a special effort to spend more time in camp; definitely added to my application of the rest of the gang as characters)

1 Like

I was Level 4 bonded with my horse, but Valentine to camp was just too far to call it.

Maybe it’s an early test of a player’s honor, because it adheres to the philosophy that no good deed goes unpunished. I cannot see a scenario where you have a way back to camp that doesn’t involve stealing a horse, so I’m going to amend my playthrough instructions to keep the one you’ve got and ride to . Fuck it!

Last night I finished the mission to rescue Sean from Blackwater, and I spent a long time letting Arthur get wasted and enjoying the singalongs at the subsequent camp celebration. For once, Arthur’s experience and my real world experience mirrored each other.

I had skipped this before, but it was so much more poignant this time, I think because I know that the story ends badly for almost everyone and this may well be the last moment of levity for the gang before the shits start hitting the fans. It is in my playthrough, in that I have some hunting to do before my next main story mission which is money collection for Strauss…

1 Like

I just killed Arthur Morgan. The significance of the Downes encounter is easy to miss first time, but the ominous drums and the dramatic ride back to camp leap out at you second time.

1 Like

I put that mission off as long as possible my second time thru.

An observation: as disgusting as Micah is, every mission with him is a hell of a lot of fun.

1 Like

I figured that the timing of the Downes mission doesn’t matter to Arthur’s overall longevity, so I just took it off the map. That “LS” was like a bright red beacon on the map.

I did exhaust all the threatening dialog though. You get to the point where “Threaten” is still an option, but Arthur has nothing to say. People have done extensive research, and there is just no way that the game lets you not have the deadly outcome here.

The worst part is that now I have to do it again because, by stringing out the encounter, I missed the gold medal. fml

1 Like

Siri picked out this song for me this morning. Can’t be a coincidence.

It’s either the theme for my RDR addiction or my vanlife fantasy.

1 Like

And now, that will be the earworm in my head all day long and I didn’t even click the link…

1 Like

Oh-ohhhhhhh-oh-oh

A Wiiiiiild West

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeero!

Redi Jedi Redemption looks good.

1 Like

I saw an actual van life you tuber on I-35 a few weeks ago. They had a sign on the back of their rig with the YT logo, their channel name, and ‘please check us out’ or something similar.

Can’t remember the channel name now.

1 Like

POTW