Video Games

I have a very limited frame of reference, but I thoroughly enjoyed Spider-Man, which should be pretty cheap now. There is a mid-release game featuring Miles Morales, which I have seen described as a DLC on steroids (not as a negative).

Spider-Man 2 has been out for a few months to rave reviews. I don’t have it yet, but I will at some point soon I’m sure.

The story and characters in SM1 were very good. Good character beats with some genuine highs and lows.

1 Like

Ok, figured my particular problem out.

You need 20 bounty locations, not just 20 bounties.

So look at your stats and see what your totals are.

They need to add up to 20 (again locations, not total bounties; they are laid out by territory in the stats).

They max out at 8 in New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso, 4 in West Elizabeth. i.e. if you have 8 in New Austin, move on.

The bounty locations are where the bounty target is and not where you pick them up. They are assigned randomly. You’ll know a bounty counts as a new location when the game saves automatically after you deliver the bounty.

And locations do repeat and count toward the total with Jack. He definitely collected some bad guys in identical locations as his old man.

Bureau uniform collected, 100% achieved, and Jack rode back to Beecher’s Hope, visited John/Abigail/Uncle’s graves and went to bed.

1 Like

I’ll check this out. Thanks!

I visited Beecher’s Hope as Jack long after the initial switchover, and it was a surreal experience. Maybe because I’d played RDR2 first, but I’ve spent so much time there that the place being open and empty like that just felt wrong.

The fires were lit but no one was home. :broken_heart:

1 Like

The last encounter with The Strange Man is on the bluff overlooking Beecher’s Hope.

Specifically on John’s future gravesite.

“This is a fine spot.”

Either I’m having senior moment, or I have completely missed that guy.

There are 3 encounters.

He’s referenced in RDR2: the cabin with the artwork and poem in the swamp by the elevated RR track is his cabin.

And the shopowner in Armadillo says that the plague came down after he came to town and got mad.

One of the better RD2 channels is Strange Man.

So is that an v1 mission or a v2 mission?

I know I missed it in v2 - I found the shack as John, after Arthur…well…you know - but I definitely have not seen it in v1.

The Strange Man is in RDR1, only referenced in RDR2.

He’s a stranger mission entitled “I know You”.

The first one is on the cliff near McFarlane Ranch overlooking the desert. The second is in Mexico, the last at BH. The latter encounters might be missable if you don’t do the first.

The shack in the swamp is just another explorable cabin. Has no associated mission or even discoverable content that I recall.

(If you’re asking about specific release versions I think all that content has been present in all versions).

1 Like

Sorry, vX was just my shorthand for the two games.

Checked my stats and I have completed 17 of 18 stranger missions. The “I Know You” mission being the one I’m missing. Shitfuck!

ETA: I am way short on bounties too. Only 2 each in NP and WE.

1 Like

I know it’s not the same, but those cutscenes are basically all there is.

In the first he sends you to thieves landing and you either tell the dude to hook up with the prostitute or not. The second he sends you to give money to a nun. And there is no task in the 3rd one.

I still consider you a Legend of the West if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks! I do have the t-shirt to prove it.

I think it may be the missing bounties (see edit above) that are the problem.

1 Like

The Google tells me that Jack cannot do the “I Know You” mission, but also it is not required for 100%.

I got some bounty hunting to do.

1 Like

I found I was missing a stranger mission (in addition to the strange Man); I’d not completed Aztec Gold. Now done, I’m at 99.8% and need two WE bounties…

1 Like

I think that Aztec gold schmuck is the guy who gave Arthur his first treasure map.

ETA: nope, different Mexican treasure hunter

1 Like

100%!

I didn’t get a cut scene taking me to Beecher’s Hope, though.

2 Likes

I rode him there myself.

Congratulations. 100% is more than 0.6% better than 99.4%.

ETA: ignored every single blue dot MFer on the way too.

1 Like

Yep. People have been getting robbed and eaten by wolves without so much as a batted eye while I ground out the last few items.

Also, bounties being taken alive wasn’t a high priority either.

1 Like

Ha.

Yes my repeater was throwing lead into those camps like a Gatling gun.

1 Like

Started Fallout 4 last night…and it didn’t go well. Not sure it’s one for me.

Did the exploring stuff ok, but the combat system is just so clunky. I understand that VATS is intended to bring some of the feel of a turn-based RPG to a FPS, but it’s a mess. It completely negates the FPS element because you shoot with the game essentially paused, and it’s frustratingly difficult to pick the target and body part you want to hit. These don’t seem like things that are player attribute issues that get better as you level up, they’re game interface issues.

Also, it didn’t help that - within a few hundred feet of leaving the vault - I was attacked by two ghoul dogs (or whatever they’re called), fought them off, only for two more dogs immediately to spawn out of nothing right where the first two were, and kill me. That’s just bad game design.

I can appreciate that the world building is excellent, which is why the TV show is such a success, but this game is six years younger than RDR1 and simply shit the bed on the combat element.

I’m curious, for fans of turn-based RPGs, did the VATS approach work for you?

1 Like

Yes, but I prefer turn-based over action/FPS games in most cases. VATS is also probably a lot easier on PC where you can use a mouse and keyboard. But the VATS system was already old as fuck when Fallout 4 came out, and it really didn’t age well.

1 Like