Trade Deadline Possibilities 2021

I was not meaning to be harsh.

My point was based on the facts that:

1. we got him in a waiver claim after multiple teams waived him, reducing chances teams would trade for him.

2. His performance on the field hasn’t improved his value, even if it hasn’t detracted either.

3. the roster crunch forces a move so it may be the only option.

Just like the team DFA’d Kemp and White in 2019 and many many others over the years.

Yes, we were talking apples and oranges, which was my fault. You were talking Garcia, I was thinking Garza. I do not disagree with your assessment of his prospects.

I think.

1 Like

I agree about Robel’s value but his is a wonderful story of perseverance and determination.

2 Likes

According to Jon Heyman the Astros, Phillies and Yankees are interested in Starling Marte who seems increasingly likely to be moved by the Marlins.

While pitching is certainly our biggest need, if we could get Marte AND address the pitching issue I’d be thrilled. Marte would certainly lengthen the lineup.

Astros twitter seems to think the club is about to acquire Max Scherzer for some reason.

Because he’s been mentioned

eta:

FWIW, Jim Bowden said this morning that any thought of Scherzer being traded could be put to bed. Nats will never move him. They feel they are still in it and Bowden has been told that the ownership wants him to end his career there.

1 Like

I’m all for making improvements wherever Click can. Also, I know he is hated around here, but what about Hamels? He would only cost money.

I don’t hate Hamels but I do think he is washed up as a player and has no place anywhere near this team.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know he was still around

Agreed. What would you do with him? Are we expecting Urquidy is done for the season? And even then, is he a significant upgrade from Odorizzi? I don’t think so. The problem with this pitching staff is the bullpen’s inability to consistently throw strikes. Not seeing how Hamels helps that cause.

1 Like

The only starter that is possibly on the market that I would even consider would be Max Scherzer. I doubt that he’s even an actual possibility anyway but if he was I’d move heaven and earth to do it. Putting that unlikelihood aside, bullpen, bullpen, bullpen. Even if we did get Scherzer, still need at least one bullpen arm.

I agree that the biggest issue is the inability of the bullpen to throw strikes.

But the innings are piling up after a short season last year.

Most if not all of the starters have had various issues ( shoulder fatigue, soreness) that could be due to that.

I can see a possibility where the playoffs arrive and the rotation is just gassed - nothing left.

More arms can only help

And widening the lead so more rest is available can also only help.

For these reasons I hope they go back to the 6 man rotation and/or use piggy back outings with fewer innings by the starters.

But to do that there must be 13 healthy arms that can throw strikes.

Hamels? Ugh. Not an upgrade over anyone.

2 Likes

Maybe the Dodgers would give up Bauer.

2 Likes

Yes, innings pile up. There are a lot of games at this level. But Greinke is the only starter really on schedule for a full load. Frankly, pitching too much is not the problem, and I disagree that going to a 6-man or more rotation will help, especially if those additions include someone like Hamels.

2 Likes

If Morton qualifies as “possibly on the market”, he should make the wish list. ATL’s record over the next 10 days will be interesting to follow, on that front.

Garcia and Urquidy have been effective out of the pen in the past. If adding a front end starter allows you to move one or both of them to relief, that might just solve the bullpen issues…especially if Baez can get healthy and handle a 7th/8th inning role.

Granted, there’s a whole lot of “IF’s” in that scenario.

2 Likes

I think Atl would have to have a pretty bad week and the Mets have a really good week for them to think of themselves as sellers. That’s a winnable division and they are only 4 out

And it’s the Mets.

Hope isn’t a plan, but I continue to pray that we can add Verlander to the pen by October.