Trade Deadline Possibilities 2021

An interesting and cheap reliever…

Hidden

[Lefty Paul Fry is] among the top 25 bullpen arms in strikeout rate (33%), strikeout/walk rate differential (22.9 percentage points), SIERA (2.98) and ground ball rate (55.3%) over the last two years. Fry was very good in 2020, and he’s seemingly taken his game to another level this season. Fry’s punching out hitters at a career-best 36.7% rate this year, helping him pitch to a 1.99 ERA across 22 2/3 frames. He’s averaging a career-high 93.5 MPH on his four-seam fastball, which is missing bats at an elite level. And Fry’s been equally dominant against hitters from both sides of the plate, holding left-handed and right-handed batters alike to a sub-.500 OPS. That level of on-field dominance is interesting enough, but Fry’s contractual status makes him all the more appealing a trade target. He’s making just more than the league minimum salary this season and comes with three additional years of team control via arbitration.

I still think we need a closer so Pressly can shut down the 8th.

3 Likes

He’s cheap in terms of salary, but I bet not in terms of player(s) needed in a trade deal.

This, please.

Can we trade for a different manager?

Let’s DFA him.

4 Likes

Let’s trade for AJ Hinch.

1 Like

Damn you Jim Crane

1 Like

I also wonder about former Astros farm hand Richard Rodriquez with the Pirates.

Rodriguez or Taylor Rogers is who I’m hoping for. Rogers is more expensive from a salary standpoint but he has much more experience in pressure situations. Rodriguez only has 15 career saves and no playoff or big game experience, but with a salary under $2M we could certainly fit him in without going over the threshold.

Besides guys already named in this thread (Fry, Rodriguez, Rogers), Jake Kaplan suggests Raisel Iglesias (Angels), Kendall Graveman (Mariners), Jose Cisnero (Tigers), Michael Fulmer (Tigers), Gregory Soto (Tigers), Chris Stratton (Pirates), Giovanny Gallegos (Cardinals), Tanner Scott (Orioles), Cole Sulser (Orioles) and Scott Barlow (Royals) as potential targets.

Great news! How about keeping Correa, Jims?

6 Likes

At the Athletic today, Rob Biertempfel and Jim Bowden play GM and talk about what the Pirates might get back in certain trades.

Rob proposed Chris Stratton for Brett Conine straight up. Bowden said Pirates should push for Jairo Lopez to be included.

While these are WAGs, it might give an idea of possible cost of prospects.

Not sure about Stratton, but Bowden said that to get Rodriguez from the Pirates should cost 2 mid-level prospects. If that’s the case, then perhaps Conine and Lopez could get you Rodriguez??? I have a feeling though that the offers for him will be better than that. We’ll see.

I hear that Springer guy in Toronto is having a bad year. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

(I keed I keed!)

Click said the obvious right thing. It is probably true. I’m sure Crane REALLY wants to win another World Series for a few reasons that we all know.

However, Click’s job is to build the best roster and compile the most/best talent for 2020 and the future.

He signed Baez who has a history of very good late inning numbers.

He also knows Pruitt well from TB ( although Luhnow actually traded for him) and MAY like him.

Many scouts and front office people really like James and feel he can be a valuable member of a staff.

Going over the luxury tax threshold has stiff consequences that get stiffer if Correa leaves.

Even if Crane gives the go ahead, Click may still feel that staying the course is the best option for the team in the long run AND good enough to win it all.

We will see.

My guess is any dalliance with the luxury tax will be a rent-a-player.

I.e. he isn’t committing to the LT for upcoming seasons.

I really don’t see a rental vs long term deal as an issue. According to Cot’s they are only committed to $112.190 towards the tax threshold for 2022.

The issues are:

Under threshold: get pick immediately after rd 1 of 22 draft if Corre signs elsewhere ( assuming QO made)

Exceed threshold: pick is immediately after 4th rd.

Verlander and/or Grienke could possibly generate similar differences.

Under threshold: lose second highest pick in 22 draft and $500k in international money if a FA attached to QO is signed.

Exceed threshold: same situation changes to losing 2nd and 5th highest picks and $1 million in international money.

And to lesser extent: team pays 30% penalty for every dollar above the threshold.

2 Likes

Jim Bowden would disagree with you slightly. He says a GM’s job is to win the World Series, not win trades.

I don’t count but I tend to agree with Bowden. If we don’t strengthen this bullpen out of fear of going over the threshold and dropping down a couple rounds on some draft picks that may or may not even pan out 5 years or more from now I’m gonna be pissed.

2 Likes