Trade Deadline Possibilities 2021

Not sure if you are correct or MLB Trade Rumors. I’ve seen so much I don’t know for sure. MLB Trade Rumors article yesterday says QO compensation picks are not after round 1. They are slated to be between picks 70-80. If we go over they bump to 125-140 range.

One other thing that has come to my mind which I haven’t see addressed. The CBA ends after the World Series?? What’s to say that in the new agreement they have some new system entirely and the QO and compensation is done away with? What if it’s kept but we loose a whole season to a strike and don’t play again until 2023?

I just can’t see holding back on strengthening this team if you have a chance at a deep playoff run because of some draft pick compensation.

1 Like

Thanks.

I got this information from a cbssports.com article

I did not verify it through other articles or sources.

I agree that that winning the world series should and must be the goal.

I’m just not sure ( especially with his TB background) if Click thinks renting players to strengthen a roster now at the expense of the future is the correct way to run a team.

If not he’d better come to that conclusion quickly.

1 Like

His task is to win the WS when he has a chance to do it, not to plan for some future hope to win.

1 Like

No dispute from me. The goal is always to win the world series

That said, my impression has always been:

General manager obtains talent

Field manager uses the talent to win games.

This may be an over simplification or may just be wrong. The GM may have more responsibility to win games.

My observation has always been that if a team has talent and doesn’t win the field manager gets fired ( by the GM) if the team does not have talent the GM gets fired ( along with the field manager usually)

No, you are being literal and are correct about the individual games. My post meant the GM must obtain the talent to win now when he has the chance, not to plan for some ill-defined future.

I agree

Seize the day

Don’t NOT improve the team now because of something possibly negative tomorrow.

My point through all of this has not been whether I think the bullpen needs upgraded, but does Click.

For instance, none of us think the Astros should get a 3B because Bregman is injured. Once he returns 3B is covered.

But does Click think that way about the bullpen?

I think it’s a matter can he upgrade what we have with the trade-able items available. You could probably get another Stanek or Raley if you gave up some prospects, but would it be worth it? Could you get a difference maker?

Realistically I’m hoping for someone from outside who can assume a role (7th, 8th, or 9th) and for one of the current roster what-ifs to come thru.

If Click can do better than that, fantastic.

2 Likes

Agreed. Go all in for a bona fide closer. We have the pieces for everything else.

Kimbrel would be an excellent addition based on his 2021 performance. I’d be willing to part with a lot to get him. This team’s window won’t last forever. And I would very much like to win a “fuck you” World Series.

2 Likes

I think the Braves now must sell.

I know we have a bunch of solid 3-5 type starting pitchers and many are young. They could become #1s or #2s

But aces win in the playoffs and 2021 is a golden opportunity.

I think trading for Charlie Morton and Will Smith would put the team over the top.

Think the Braves would accept an offer of: Javier, Raley, Taylor Jones, Freudis Nova, and one of the lower top 30 catcher prospects - CJ Stubbs, Perry, or Manea?

Looking over things, 3rd base is more of a need. They might want Toro instead of Jones. Which I would be ok with.

They might also like Blake Taylor over Raley that would not be deal breaker for me.

They’re still in second.

The Acuña loss hurts but they’re far from dead in the water.

Especially with 18 wc spots available.

1 Like

With Acuna, they were 4 games behind the Mets and 7 games out of the wild card.

To get the wild card they would have to overtake 2 of the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres along with the Reds or Brewers.

I think the division is their only way in.

Acuna will be back by this time next year, and they’ll still be young, and they’ll still have Freeman and Albies and I don’t know who else. I wouldn’t go dismantling things because of this. Now, if Morton is in his walk year, he could definitely fetch some interesting pieces from contenders. But if I were Atlanta I wouldn’t be having a fire sale.

1 Like

Morton indeed only signed for 2021.

I think replacing Morton and Smith with:

Javier, Raley, Nova, Jones, and a catching prospect sets them up better for next year.

For 2022 they are only giving up a RP and the majority of the return are major league ready.

Don’t underestimate the Mets’ ability to Mets their way out of a playoff spot.

4 Likes