The Void: 2022-23 Offseason

Maybe I should have started a new thread on this, but as the sun sets on some of these Astro greats (Yuli & probably Machete sooner rather than later, to name a couple) I hope the organization finds a way to bring as many of them back to the organization in some capacity as they can…assuming they want it. Those two players in particular bring so much value to the table beyond what they can do on the field. That’s important, but they should also be considered part of the Astros family forever.

3 Likes

Crane had mentioned he would address Dusty/Click situations today. I can’t find anything about it on the web. I had to work and missed parade. Anything from Crane on that today?

Nothing official

I thought I saw something yesterday about the Astros and Dusty’s team negotiating terms on an extension, so presumably they intend to bring him back. But I haven’t seen anything about Click, not even a milktoast “we’ll talk after the parade”.

Who is attending the GM meeting if Click doesn’t have a contact?

I don’t know if the team is going to seriously pursue him, or if he even wants to come back, but Christian Vazquez is one player I’d like to bring back for 2-3 years.

1 Like

Thanks. Just reading here and there on the web. More than one person has said to go back and watch the trophy presentation. Many have stated Click failed to thank Crane during his brief speech. I have not re-watched myself to check the mood of all involved at that time.

That was a glaring omission for me too.

I guess Click might be happy to find another GM gig (he’ll have his pick of offers) with an owner who doesn’t threaten to fire him while he’s en route to winning a World Series.

1 Like

Maybe Lunhow is on his way back.

I went back and watched the speeches (it was fun to watch Manfred get booed again).

Crane gave Click a shoutout, Click gave Jim a shout out. Neither of them were detailed or effusive, but no one got left off the list.

Transcript:

Q to Crane: Congratulations and how sweet does the second one feel?

Crane: Well, it’s great but, Houston, we did it again. Without you, we’re not here. (pause for cheers/tears) Thank you Houston, couple quick words, great fans, great ops team, James’ group, Dusty’s group, all the great players, and from the bottom job in this stadium to the top, everyone contributed. We love you all.

Q to Click: As the architect of this whole unit, what is the most gratifying thing for you to see it come to this.

Click: Just to be on this stage with this team, with Dusty, with Jim, and all the players, to be in front of our fans here in Houston, thank you (points at crowd) you did this, thank you!

1 Like

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale [reported] … that Astros owner Jim Crane has already spoken to both Baker and general manager James Click about their futures and is planning to formally extend them contract offers for the 2023 season.

2 Likes

Here’s a tweet with that info for source material:

1 Like

Never say never but… never while Crane owns the team.

2 Likes

Just for 2023? So we’ll go through all this shit again next year?

1 Like

That’s fantastic news!

I’d like to keep you on board until the option I want is available. Anybody want a peanut?

1 Like

Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.

1 Like

Homer: Explain, brain.
Brain: Money can be exchanged for good and services.

2 Likes

That’s bizarre. I completely have no memory of that at all. I must have been in a mental state.