The Void: 2022-23 Offseason

I don’t think my fandom is too out of line.

I just think he and Meyers compete for CF spot next season.

I remember Dusty really liked him last spring and now he’s had a season at AAA.

If Verlander signs away, then there remains Brandon Nimmo (LH CF) as an upgrade over Bellinger.

Altuve
Pena
Alvarez
Bregman
Tucker
Abreu
Brantley/Hensley DH
McCormick/Meyers/Leon
Maldonado/Lee

With that top seven, they don’t need Mickey Mantle in center. McCormick/Meyers are more than adequate. Astros win on pitching and defense. Nimmo erodes the defense too much. Would rather take a flyer on Bellinger or stand pat.

2 Likes

If they’re talking Abreu at cleanup I have to believe Bregman would move to the 2 spot

1 Like

I like your lineup. CF is still in need of an upgrade, but those guys are ok.

Dusty will not move Peña. The only “they” I care about re the lineup is Dusty and Baker.

Bowden an outlier (5 yr/$75MM) but the other salary projections have Benintendi signing a 3 or 4 deal with a $14MM AAV.

I saw some speculation on Abreu hitting cleanup but I have to believe its just lazy reporting based on Abreu’s history and no consideration of the Current Astros roster.

I do mot see any scenario where the top 4 changes at all and Tucker likely stays in the 5 spot too.

I would bet money Abreu hits 6th. At least until something like an injury changes that.

2 Likes

That’s basically Reddick plus a little inflation. Seems reasonable.

1 Like

Best spot for him. I agree.

1 Like

Keith Law is, as usual, on his bullshit:

“So is this what happens when you get rid of your successful, respected GM, and try to Jerry Jones your way through the offseason?

Signing a 35-year-old first baseman/DH to a three-year deal, even off a year when some signs of age crept into his performance and his batted-ball stats, is some 1980s George Steinbrenner malarkey. “

PS: A supposedly professional writer getting in a pissing match in the comments is pathetic.

Forgetting my JR GM desires, I can’t imagine that Astros could have made a much more impactful acquisition than Abreu at a value that doesn’t kill cap flexibility. Hope that the team is secure enough in talent on hand that they allow some combination of Meyers/McCormick/Leon/Gilbert/Dirden to battle it out for a few roster spots. Wouldn’t hate a short term deal for a CF, but I’m hopeful that we have talent on hand at low cost to fill the hole.

Keith Law can stick his opinion where the sun doesn’t shine. This is what happens when you have a clear need at 1B or DH and are the reigning World Series champions. You make your team the best it can be for 2023 and figure out the future later.

1 Like

What would be the right price for a broken fuckstick? If you can get Bellinger for the price of any other slick fielding .180 hitter it would be an interesting acquisition. I sure wouldn’t pay him based on some “potential return to form” or for what he did 4 years ago.

1 Like

Surprised the word “taint” was not in there somewhere.

1 Like

I keep forgetting he exists.

He is a broke down and shattered piece of crap. So, I can be a bit sympathetic. I’m not a monster.

2 Likes

Regarding Bellinger, he was projected to make close to $20M via arbitration. I heard some talking heads speculate that he won’t get that on a one year deal, but $15M would be a reasonable ask and expectation.

He’s worth that if he rebounds but man, that’s an expensive gamble.

For any one year deal, I’m far more interested in the use of a roster spot than the money.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it to be overly expensive if it’s indeed just a one year deal, especially when there is no lost draft picks or international signing $ associated with the signing. If he was not a plus defender in CF then it would somewhat change my view, but everything I’ve read said he’s a plus/plus defender at 1B and a plus defender in CF. In addition, unless traded, you still have Chas there as insurance if he ends up not hitting.