The Void: 2022-23 Offseason

Bregman needs to hit behind Alvarez. Full stop.

8 Likes

Yuli still good as a utility player, and agree for a lh bat. Wish Verlander well should he go, which frees up room for one of our starters in waiting

Jose Abreu 2 yr/$46MM ($23MM AAV) (Kiley McDaniel/ESPN)
Abreu 2 yr/$34MM ($17MM AAV) (Jim Bowden/The Athletic)
Abreu 3 yr/$75MM ($25MM AAV) (Jon Heyman/NY Post)
Abreu 2 yr/$36MM ($18MM AAV) (Tim Britton/The Athletic)

So MLBTR got the AAV right (maybe pending final details) and Heyman got the contract length right.

Ok - conceded.

The Chronicle has a story published about the Jose Abreu signing, as does McTaggart on MLB.com.

FWIW, Rome in the Chron article says Abreu would slot in at cleanup.

I get why they are kicking the tires on Bellinger.
Here is an interesting article:

THE ACTUAL CULPRIT?

So when did the regression actually happen? Cody Bellinger still had more power in the spring of 2021 than he showed in all of the regular season (or postseason) that year, or the year after. He only had 9 batted balls with Statcast during the spring of 2021, but in those nine batted ball events he topped out at 107.5 MPH on a home run. He hit another home run at 106.2 MPH this spring. Those aren’t eye popping numbers but given the context, they are. Cody Bellinger has topped out at 107.4 MPH since the start of the 2021 regular season. He has hit a ball at least 106.2 MPH just nine times. This is a 608 BBE sample. The difference in power output is absolutely massive in such a short period of time.

So why did his power fall off so dramatically in under a month? We were correct to blame injury, but we assigned blame to the wrong one. Reymin Guduan spiked Cody Bellinger during a close play at first base on April 5th. Bellinger fractured his left fibula.

That was when everything fell apart for Bellinger, as that one injury that sidelined him for nearly two months also ruined his mechanics.

I would still like to see Gurriel at first and Abreu at DH and Diaz as the utility player. Astros have the best pitching staff in baseball and the best lineup. If their team defense isn’t the best it is real close. All they need now is the best utility player.
Hard to see Gurriel being near as good as Diaz at second, short or third but if Crane and Baker think that he can do the job, adios Aledmys.

That is too RH heavy, imo. Bregman said Yuli can play SS right now. That is good enough for me.

Me too. Gurriel at utility it is.

2 Likes

Andrew Benintendi’s name has popped up in a couple of recent articles as someone the Astros are considering (or could consider). Lefty bat obviously.

From McTaggart last week…

From Nightengale today…

So Bob Nightengale… was actually… right about something?

Can Abreu hit sixth?
Altuve
Pena
Alvarez
Bregman
Tucker
Abreu
Yet to determined LH 1B/DH Bell?
McCormick/Meyers/Leon
Maldonado/Lee

When was there a better top six in the majors?

My more simplistic view knowing less than nothing about the injuries is: he can play CF and first base at an elite level, and he is a LH hitter. If they think they can fix his hitting or that being healthy will make all the difference, I’d be kicking his tires too. Not too long ago he was MVP.

1 Like

If the price is right. Bellinger could be a grand slam and if he isn’t there are plenty of adequate replacements.

I like that idea a lot. LHH, good on-base skills, not much of that on the market unless they go for Nimmo. I’d hate to say goodbye to Brantley but you can’t sit out the winter hoping he heals right.

Now with Abreu in the fold I would like them to just bring back Brantley and Yuli to fill out the roster. Assuming health.

C) Maldy 75%, Lee 25%
1B) Abreu 80%, Yuli 20%
2B) Altuve 95%, Yuli 5%
3B) Bregman 95%, Yuli 5%
SS) Pena 95%, Hensley or Dubon 5%
LF) Alvarez 50%, McCormick 25%, Brantley 25%
CF) Leon or Meyers 70%, McCormick 30%
RF) Tucker 95%, McCormick 5%
DH) Alvarez 45%, Brantley 40%, Abreu 15%

If Bregman can back up SS this becomes even more viable.

Leon or Meyers in CF other in AAA.

hopefully Hensley can beat out Dubon for 26th man

Did I miss that Brantley is just done for good?

Leon again. Man, you’re in love.

I hope not. If he is healthy, bring him back, but when will they know? That leaves the usual suspects for CF but solves the need for a LH hitter.