The Pitching

(Shakes head) A possibility.

PS: That, plus trying to get a 4th inning out of Belak…

You sayin’ it doesn’t?

1 Like

I’M SORRY!

Sorry to break it to you. Your parents should have told you that long ago.

More than one way to skin a cat I guess would be the most charitable characterization of the two streaks…

Dave Smith 27.2 IP, 8 H, 6 BB, 41 K

Ryne Stanek 27 IP, 15 H, 15 BB, 30 K

Dave Smith seemed like he was 45 years old then to my young eyes.

He was 32.

I either didn’t know or forgot that he died in 2008.

1 Like

Spicoli

And the SDSU teammate quoted there? Yeah, it is indeed this guy.

And a nice little article about Smith the same guy wrote for SI back in '87…

2 Likes

It’s JV’s day again…

3 Likes

Props to Pressly. And there’s Dave Smith again…

1 Like

And Framber now has 16 straight quality starts, trailing only Mike Scott’s 20 in '86

2 Likes

He sure tried to fuck that up

1 Like

The Framber Inning is this generation’s Oswalt Inning.

Kinda, sorta. Baker and Miller/Murphy seem to be of the “let 'em play” mindset and will actually listen to players when to go out and check later in games. Especially with the veterans like Valdez and Verlander. Like last night, I think a number of the Valdez Innings is him wanting to stay in longer (no harm in that), and the pitching team yielding as respect and then the very thing that drew them out to the mound in the first place actually happening.

1 Like

Framber can throw a clunker of an inning then recover and be very effective again.

That’s probably an underrated quality.

3 Likes

Actually it may be under rated. But crucial information for manager and pitching coach. We also have been blessed where we haven’t been giving up a ton of runs of late. Even the best pitchers can have a down game also, much less an inning.

Well the tweet was sponsored by Mattress Firm so I guess that’s why they used a pic of him in the ugly PJ unis…

The intern also forgot to update his win total after yesterday’s game.

1 Like

And his ERA. Justin Verlander is the first pitcher since Cy Young (!!!) in 1926 to have an ERA below 1.75 at 39 or older through 20 games.

2 Likes

The article on the game last night over at astros.com breathlessly discusses the fact that since JV hit the 130 innings pitched threshold, his $25 million a year contract for next year is enacted. I thought it was a mutual option. Doesn’t he have to say yes as well?

From what I’ve seen it’s a player option so it’s entirely up to him. He could decline the option and seek a multiyear contract.

1 Like