The opening farewell

I know this is minor, but would they really lose a pick if they re-signed Correa? I thought those were compensatory picks that were awarded to the team that lost the free agent (as stupid of an “incentive” as that system is anyway).

I was not calling him a liar, but was just acknowledging that athletes (and their team of agents/PR types) and management (and their team of PR types) say things to the media that are true to some extent, but are meaningless in the big picture because situations change.

Recent example, and I’m pretty sure I’m getting this right: remember when Charlie Morton was going to retire rather than pitch for anyone other than the Astros?

I have no idea who will throw what money at CC this offseason, I hope one of the teams is the Astros, but I’ll worry about it once the offseason starts.

You could turn him into the best fielding 1B in history, if it came to that.

I think they’d consider not gaining the compensatory pick the same as losing that pick. But I’m also out of touch with the current rules, and if the compensation pick would be low enough in the draft, they might not care too much about it.

Thanks for the correction. I was using Spotrac for contracts and service time, and they had him at 1.113 for now. I was not sure if he got credit for a full year of service time in 2020 or not.

I think that 1.113 is from the start of 2021. Remember, he’s had all of 2021, 2020, and a good bit of 2019. Next year will be his fourth season, even though we still get bombarded with his accomplishments “through first XXX games”.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think Crane and Click wanted to see Carlos stay healthy for a full season and hit at an an elite level to give him the kind of deal he wants. He stayed healthy last year, but didn’t hit, and before that he hit well but missed a lot of time. That’s why the initial offers were in the 5 years, 120-125M range. Now that Correa has done both, the Astros’ organization should be willing to up their offer significantly. Correa is not someone Jim Crane should let walk away, either.

As for the Astros’ farm system being thin, they churn out productive big league players through player development and good scouting. Look at how Chas McCormick and Jake Meyers performed this year. They signed Pedro Leon out of Cuba who has a lot of potential and have another really good SS prospect in Jeremy Pena. Their pitching development system produced Urquidy, Garcia and Valdez along with another good arm in Javier. All that young, cost-controllable pitching is why they can afford to sign Correa in the first place.

That would be Ernie Banks.

1 Like

Vic Power says hi.

2 Likes

I think we are all overlooking the impact of inflation here – both on future salary demands and its impact on the luxury tax threshold. There is still the argument surrounding future payments for past performance, but I think that if Correa does stay healthy and productive, his salary will not look quite so crazy in a few years.

1 Like

Only because we haven’t seen Correa yet (insert winky sarcasm smiley thing here)

I’m not sure that we know how the market will price Correa this winter.

1 Like

aside: I miss Ernie’s on Banks

1 Like

I went in there about ten years ago. I don’t remember if it was still Ernie’s or if they’d changed the name or what. But I was by some measure the oldest idiot in there, and the entire vibe had changed completely, for the worse, as far as I was concerned.

Yeah, I don’t remember when they changed it or what they changed it to before it closed, but that’s when I stopped going.

Is T.K. Bitterman’s still across from the Icehouse?

You are dating yourself.

From near childhood, Correa has molded his career to encompass everything from English language faculty to media savvy, and then there’s the on-field component. He might price himself out of every media market between the coasts, and his entire effort is pointed in that irrevocable direction

I think I do not have to worry about that. Folks know how old I am.

4 Likes

PAY THE MAN, Crane!

3 Likes