The Inevitable What About The Inevitable You-Know-Who Thread Thread

I don’t know whether this is just delicious irony or the work of Dark Brandon, but saddling Trump with James Bowman (or whatever nouns he chooses to use these days) to run against Harris is fucking delicious.

If they’d known, I suspect the donor class oligarchs would’ve forced him to run with Nimarata Randhawa (or whatever nouns she chooses to use these days). Now the GOP ticket is a one note ticket, and that note is a very, very sour one.

2 Likes

You hate to see it.

3 Likes

Nah. Thiel would have insisted on his boy, regardless.

1 Like

I’m not so sure. They want Trump because they want to be able literally to buy favors from the president while saving billions on taxes. Against Biden they figured they had it in the bag, so they pushed their boy. Against Harris, they should’ve recognized that they needed some…any…diversity.

Or maybe they’re just ignorant tech bros with more money than brain cells. You could be right…

Reality: With Gretchen Whitmer’s endorsement, everyone who was a potential contender to challenge Harris for the nomination has endorsed Harris’ candidacy.

Media: What about Joe Manchin.

Reality: With Gretchen Whitmer’s endorsement, everyone who was a potential contender to challenge Harris for the nomination has endorsed Harris’ candidacy.

5 Likes

Occassionaly republicans look for diversity within the party, don’t recall an attempt to grab swing voters.

Trump, who has some say in his vp, wants an heir who will look out for him when he surrenders power (which is how putin got his job way back when). Vance has proven to be unburdened by principle and loyal to the ones who bought him. Trump 2024 thinks he needs zero help getting elected from a VP (and 2016 Trump did not imagine he could be). There is zero remorse in the vp choice.

1 Like

The #1 issue that has been beating Republicans across the country - including in places like Kansas and Alabama - is abortion rights. Kamala Harris is the ideal medium through which to argue that issue.

Then Senator Harris to then SCOTUS nominee Brett Kegstand:

I don’t disagree with your logic, but that’d be a surprising pick, IMO. My money is on Shapiro, maybe Pete, both of which mainly fit your criteria.

1 Like

Harris has an embarrassment of riches from which to choose, and there really isn’t a “wrong” choice.

Typically, you want your VP pick to (a) be able to deliver their home state’s electoral college votes; and (2) fill in the blanks in your resume. A governor would be an obvious choice to cover off any arguable lack of “executive” experience with Harris and would already have won a state-wide election in their home state.

As long as it’s not Joe Manchin, I’m cool (although Manchin has now downgraded his ambition simply to being part of her administration).

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Trump continues to show that, when it comes to politics, he has the agility of a supertanker.

1 Like

Manchin probably thinks he’s fit for Energy Secretary. He’s so out of touch with things.

2 Likes

Starts researching how to say the coordinates of Machin’s yacht in Orca…

It’s not just him, but all of the Republicans. Not having any coherent platform/vision will become more apparent as we move forward. It’s more likely that they will run an anti-black lady campaign as they will anything else. Well, as soon as Trump realizes Biden isn’t his opponent.

2 Likes

They’ve already started. That extra from The Sound of Music - Seb Gorka - was on TV this morning saying that Harris would be the first “DEI” president.

Meanwhile, one of the concerning things about Biden’s candidacy was that it was a huge turnoff to Gen Z. Anecdotally, that seems to have been reversed and then some with Harris heading the ticket. Again, Harris promoting abortion - and contraceptive and marriage - rights, is a winning formula.

2 Likes

All 50 states’ party chairs endorse Harris. This just about seals it.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/all-50-democratic-party-us-state-chairs-back-harris-sources-2024-07-21/

WASHINGTON, July 21 (Reuters) - State Democratic party chairs on Sunday threw their weight behind Vice President Kamala Harris to be the party’s new presidential nominee to run against Republican nominee and former president, Donald Trump.

The chairs held a conference call after President Joe Biden announced he was stepping aside as the party’s candidate.

“Following President Biden’s announcement, our members immediately assembled to unite behind the candidate who has a track record of winning tough elections, and who is a proven leader on the issues that matter to Americans: reproductive freedom, gun violence prevention, climate protection, justice reform, and rebuilding the economy," said Ken Martin, president of the Association of State Democratic Committees, in a statement.

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about Harris as a candidate. I think she would be a great president and it is my greatest wish that we give her the opportunity to demonstrate it, but the most important point for the moment is that I’m very pleasantly surprised that the party has come together around her so quickly and so tidily. I thought there would be some real messiness, but no. And it’s extremely gratifying and almost comforting to see the enthusiasm among younger voters and the insane amount of grassroots contributions that are now pouring in.

Changing candidates at this late hour was a very risky move, but it’s becoming increasingly clear that it was the right call.

4 Likes

ActBlue fundraising is expected to top $100 million in the 24 hours following Biden’s announcement.

I wonder if there will be a mother shoe to drop, being that the reason it took so long for Biden to drop out was because he was making sure everyone understood what was going to happen and what their job was afterwards.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised. It’s more likely that Pelosi and Co. told him that they’d remove him one way or another. The narrative of a stubborn, completely out of touch man surrounded by sycophants is the most likely scenario.

1 Like

I think if Biden had been pushed out, you’d see a lot more opportunists popping up and not just a lone idiot who’s not even a Democrat.

It’s not even Biden’s signature on the paper that was sent out. He was 100% forced out. Forcing someone on everyone is what Democrats do. They ignored their base and installed who they wanted.