The Inevitable What About The Inevitable You-Know-Who Thread Thread

Donā€™t know if youā€™ve seen them before, but Sexy Beast and The Long Good Friday would be great additions to your list.

Both are gangster movies. The former arguably put Ian McShane on the radar for the part of Al Swearengen but the entire, excellent cast are all entirely upstaged by a supremely unhinged Ben Kingsley.

The latter includes a tour de force by Bob Hoskins and some fantastically memorable lines, plus Helen Mirren taking the role of a gangsterā€™s mol and making it her own.

ETA: Almost forgot to add one of my all-time favs: Local Hero. Spanning Houston and the Scottish highlands, itā€™s a delightfully sharp comedy about stereotypes and busting stereotypes. Also, Burt Lancaster is brilliantly nuts.

Youā€™re going to Hell.

I donā€™t have a long list of British movies Iā€™ve seen, as Iā€™m not much of a movie watcher. But I enjoyed Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels very much.

Please tell me you have watched Snatch (yet another British film whose title is easily misunderstood).

I have not. I know, that makes me a bad cinema watcher. I did see Get Carter, which was also great, so thereā€™s that.

1 Like

Itā€™s been years since Iā€™ve seen Snatch.

I didnā€™t really include the movie here because it was a movie, but because itā€™s probably the best explaination for Trumpism, except that Trump isnā€™t reluctant.

I had never seen it before.

1 Like

You need to rectify this. Itā€™s like Lock, Stock was pre-season training and Snatch is the playoffs.

Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version Please tell me it was the Michael Caine version

Yeah, me too. Eh? Oh.

It wasnā€™t an insult to Jesus (it was actually quite respectful of him). It was an impeachment of religious dogma and leadership resulting, naturally, in religious leadership losing its collective mind over the movie. Such leaders then challenged the Pythons to a televised debate in which they face-planted about as hard as anyone in the history of man.

The debate was delightfully spoofed by the wags at Not the Nine Oā€™Clock News:

Is there another?

God-awful Sly Stallone remake. Set in Seattle.

Itā€™s probably much longer than you think it is, just because of David Lean. His movies tend to be really long.

1 Like

Back to the titular subject of this thread, Trumpā€™s FEC filing for the 2nd half of 2023 are out. His PAC spent $30 million, of which $20 million was on his legal bills.

Fun Fact: Over that same time period, Nikki Haleyā€™s PAC raised $5mm more than Trumpā€™s PAC. Itā€™s a fun fact only, because Trumpā€™s PAC - for now - dwarfs hers. But itā€™s interesting because, if the vast bulk of the PACā€™s spending is on Trumpā€™s lawyers, that cash advantage is being wasted.

This is a joke I roll out every time you discuss the film, which is reliably every ten years or so.

1 Like

I love such perennials.

1 Like

Yesterday, Alina Habba sent a formal letter to Judge Kaplan accusing him of an ethics violation because that he and Carrollā€™s lawyer - Roberta Kaplan (no relation) - worked together at the Paul, Weiss law firm, with Habba characterizing the working relationship as mentor-mentee. Habba cited news reports as the source of this bombshell revelation, and also cited the code of ethics and 5th circuit precedent as justification for her complaint.

This is clearly a problematic situation, until you realize that:

• The Kaplans worked at Paul, Weiss at the same time over 30 years ago;
  • You will note that I said ā€œat the same timeā€ instead of ā€œtogetherā€, because they never worked together;
  • In fact, the overlap was only 2 years, in a large, multi-office law firm where Lewis Kaplan was soon to be nominated to a federal judgeship and Roberta Kaplan was new intake from law school (i.e. they werenā€™t hanging out together);
  • The source was a single-sourced article in the New York Post (and nowhere else);
  • The portion of the code of ethics cited by Habba actually reinforces that there was no ethical breach; and
  • Kaplan is a judge on the 2nd circuit, not the 5th.

Roberta Kaplan fired a letter back systematically destroying Habbaā€™s shit-flinging and Habba immediately backed down. That does not mean that Judge Kaplan canā€™t make a bar complaint about Habba; I hope he does.

Habba also waited until after both the liability and damages phases of trial to raise the issue (but, not object or otherwise request recusal, mind you)ā€¦ waiving any purported conflict/violation.

ETA: this may have been previously mentionedā€¦ but Trump and his band of (disbarred) lawyers know that Habba is completely out of her depth ā€“ which they view as a feature and not a bug. After she gets stomped in every court appearance, Trump will just claim that he lost at every turn due to ineffectiveness of legal counsel. She probably knows that is how this will end, which is why she has billed ~$10M for her ā€œservicesā€ in the past year.

1 Like

Itā€™s almost as if sheā€™s not smart and just trying to fake it.