The Contenders 2022

The White Sox won this afternoon against Cleveland to go to 11-5 since Miguel Cairo took over from LaRussa. Chicago is 3 games back of the Guardians (4 in the loss column) while Minnesota is 4.5 back. With the Blue Jays/Rays/Mariners in solid positions for the 3 wild card spots, the Sox and Twins only real hope to gain the postseason is to try and claim the AL Central title.

Rays vs Jays game this afternoon and this is cool to see…

6 Likes

Rays blast Jays 11-0 as Shane McClanahan comes off the IL and reinserts himself in the Cy Young race (5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K).

Yankees lose to the Brew Crew in B9 7-6 after leading at one point 5-0. Astros 7.5 games up.

4 Likes

Magic number for division: 4
Magic number for #1 seed: 10

1 Like

Magic number for the division is 5.

Seattle lost last night. It’s 4.

They’re 80-63, meaning the best they could finish is 99-63. We have 95 wins, and the tiebreaker, so the magic number is 4.

Did they change the way to determine the division with the expanded Postseason? I didn’t think tiebreakers were in play for the division, you had to win that outright. But that may have changed.

ETA: looks like that’s the case. No more “Game 163”. But someone needs to inform MLB, they have the Astros magic number this morning at 5.

Technically the magic number has never actually accounted for tiebreakers, has it? So it’s still 5, but for all practical purposes it’s 4.

It didn’t because tiebreakers didn’t come into play in determining who was in and who was out. They were used for seeding, but not elimination. But now two teams in the same division can finish with the same record, one makes the Postseason, the other doesn’t. That’s a new thing.

It’s a magic number! It can change because it’s magic,

3 Likes

As things currently stand, the Astros would get the winner of Blue Jays-Mariners. I’d much rather get the Cleveland-Tampa winner.

Don’t pay any attention to MLB. MLB announced that the Dodgers had clinched a postseason spot last Sunday but a reddit user brought attention to the fact that there was, at that time, an unlikely scenario that the Dodgers could still miss if they lost every game, the Brewers won every game and the Cardinals losta certain number of games. MLB later that day corrected the announcement that the Dodgers still did need one more game to actually clinch

This is one of those times where you have a weak winner of a weak division getting a higher seed. Being the #2 seed is an easier path to the ALCS, and possibly to the World Series should the #1 seed get eliminated by a strong Wild Card winner.

Line em up and lets go. I don’t care who we play

7 Likes

I am with you. Gotta beat the best to be the best. Bring ‘em on.

BOS, NYY, LAD worked well

3 Likes

that was a mouth full to digest. But I follow it. Took a minute.

Yankees and Mariners both lost - magic numbers to 9 and 3.