Texans 2023

Andre Johnson becomes the first Texan elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Well deserved.

Texans great Andre Johnson elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame (houstonchronicle.com)

4 Likes

If they open a “wasted talent” wing, it’s going to fill up with Texans pretty quickly.

1 Like

Will Anderson won defensive rookie of the year, in a nail biter Stroud won offensive rookie of the year, Demeco got the same number of votes as Stefanski for coach of the year yet Stefanski somehow wins the award, making me think he would be a great Cardinals fan.

All in all, not a bad showing for the Nexans.

Andre is by some distance my all time favorite Texan. I’m so happy he gets this well deserved recognition.

JJ Watt is the obvious next HOF’er…does Duane Brown have a shot? Foster? I think no, but I don’t follow NFL HOF stuff

1 Like

Is the Stroud nail-biter description sarcasm, or was it really close? And if so, was it Nacua he was battling against?

2 of 50ish voters had Nacua 1st

Sarcasm. It was pert near unanimous. Stroud got 48 of the 50 1st place votes.

Watt is as big a first-ballot lock as it gets. Brown will get some discussion. Foster…probably not. He had a few great peak seasons, but not much else. Of course, it’s the NFL, and Lynn Swann is in, so…

1 Like

I have no idea what the voting was, but Stroud had the greatest rookie season a quarterback has ever had, so I assume that not even the slapdicks that vote in these sorts of things could seriously contemplate giving a first place vote to anyone else. But now I’m curious to know how many idiots gave their first place vote to someone else because you know they’re out there.

I have no sense where the periphery is, how about Hopkins? After Johnson, he’s my favorite and who I think is worthy. Made a lot of those bad teams worth watching.

Ok, so two is the answer.

I’m not arguing that Arian belongs in the Hall, but a handful of great seasons is sometimes all a running back needs.

Hopkins is pretty good, and the bar is pretty low for the NFL, but Hopkins also plays in an era of great receivers.

see: Terrell Davis, Earl Campbell

Would Hopkins, if elected, go in as a Texan?

I would assume so. Are you thinking he’d be pissed about the preacher running him out?

1 Like

Yup.

You don’t “go in” as anything in the NFL HOF, fyi

eta: there’s some internet scuttlebutt about Hopkins coming back to the Texans next year

Appreciate the correction. With my NFL experience being in post-Oilers Houston, my understanding of how the HOF works is obviously limited.

Yeah, the NFL busts don’t represent a player as being with any particular team the way the caps on baseball HOF plaques do. You’re just in. You don’t really “go in” with a particular team in baseball either, your plaque lists all teams you played for, other than the logo on your cap, if you chose to have one. It’s just a matter of pride for some franchises to depict a player with their logo on the plaque.

Future statue?

2 Likes