Sxsw canceled

So Limey (is there a way to @ people here?), since you’re the resident insurance pro here: I assume that the NCAA and the venues have insurance policies to cover loss of gate, etc, but what do those contracts look like? These venues weren’t hit by meteorites or earthquakes that rendered them unusable; the NCAA itself decided not to use them. Can they still collect? And if they can, then I assume that every other entity in the world that has a similar policy (e.g., the Houston Rodeo) will be trying to collect, too. Are the insurance companies solvent enough to endure this level of stress?

Not Limey or an insurance guy but I heard a event guy on the Finebaum show today say that typical event insurance has a rider that excludes pandemic from coverage.

After a Utah player tested positive, the NBA has suspended it’s season indefinitely.

So let’s say that somebody contracts the virus, stays home, and recovers. How does one sterilize the house after that? Burn it down? No visitors for two years?

No fans at all UT athletic events until at least the 22nd.

eta: and to answer your question, austro, here’s what the CDC says:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/cleaning-disinfection.html

I have it on good authority that HLSR did have pandemic coverage and that’s why they waited to cancel until the WHO declared the pandemic.

The virus will die on surfaces, with no intervention. 9 days survival time was the longest I read; generally closer to 2 days. Of course, an intervention of disinfecting surfaces will cleanse the home right away.

This is one of the best and most comprehensive sites I’ve come across so far.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, folks.

I guess I’ll go to the grocery store this morning and stock-up on some non-perishable food items. Fill my cars, tractor, generator, and storage cans with gas.

Poor billionaires. I suppose there’s no room for thought for the hourly workers who rely on working games in order to feed their families.

1 Like

I did see Mark Cuban say he was working on a plan to “take care of” the hourly workers.

To his credit, Mark Cuban has already talked about taking care of his hourly people.

The more I think about it, the more I think MLB should just push the season back.

Cuban, for all of his blowhardiness, is one of the few thoughtful sports owners.

I heard an interview where he acknowledged he can be a real asshole at times but he tries real hard to not be a hypocrite.

Looks like the NCAA is going to play the tournament to empty arenas. Same with the conference tournaments that weren’t cancelled altogether. Manfred hasn’t said anything since Monday but he did have a sit-down with Tyler Bauer.

Kevin Love donated $100K to help out the Cleveland Cavalier’s arena hourly employees.

1 Like

First confirmed cases in Austin/Travis County.

Greg Abbott is holding a press conference at noon. Our comms director said to expect him to announce state office shutdowns.

UT’s President’s wife has it. Do not know if this is one of the two confirmed or additional to them.

She must be a new case. Earlier this morning I saw that the two cases were a man in his 60s and a woman in her 30s.