Sxsw canceled

That’s big. I know how UH meets regarding this and who meets. So, this makes decisions even harder.

It doesn’t make decisions harder or easier at all.

You cancel any and all group activities for the foreseeable future. That’s it.

Could that meeting have been an email? You bet your ass.

It’s not just group activities to be cancelled. You can think of an University as a small City. How do you transition all classes to online? How do you handle research? What about students that literally cannot afford a plane ride home? There are a lot of decisions besides those regarding sports games.

1 Like

This is way beyond sports.

There is no reason for people to meet in person. Classes are suspended just like everything else, give the students credit for the next semester? The absolute dumbest idea with regard to college kids is to send them all home, just disperse them around the country. Quarantine them in the dorms. They’ll have food, it’s not a killer virus for the young.

Shut it all down. “Social Distancing”.

Your right, my bad. They are easy decisions.

They are not easy decisions, I didn’t mean to be flippant. They are necessary though.

The entire country, hell world, will be sacrificing normality for the next month or so at least.

I never said they were easy. I said they were hard. I can work from home but there are others that can’t.

I’ve been listening to these conversations for two plus weeks already. I have a pretty good idea of what’s involved in regard to universities.

1 Like

Speaking as the dad of two college students, I was thrilled with Auburn moved to online classes following spring break. My son is an RA.

But it is not an easy decision or easy to implement. Some classes don’t lend themselves to on line (i.e. my daughter (vet school) was supposed to do surgery for the first time on an animal after break…that has been delayed).

One of my proud moments was when my son mentioned he was concerned for the folks who work in food services who wont get paid without students there. You also have the students who need their work study jobs that won’t be there on line.

One of my mentors told me that doing the right thing is often the opposite of doing the easy thing. This is one of those situations.

Thank, Duman and Budgirl. Sorry I’m a bit salty at the moment, been dealing with hospital grade HEPA filters and old people.

all old people are not grouchy…

I was reading just yesterday about how the sudden (and necessary) closing of colleges is creating serious problems for students who rely on work study jobs to support their families and for students who, without their on campus housing, are otherwise homeless.

My friend with the CDC now tells me he thinks almost everyone will catch the strain within the next year, most will get past it with no problem.

Yeah, it sounds like this is transmitted easily enough that there’s no way that everybody doesn’t get it at some point. The entire effort right now has to be avoiding everybody getting it at the same time.