Sxsw canceled

did not see that one coming. better safe than sorry I guess.Hope that baseball does not follow suit.

Traffic will be much better.

It makes a lot of sense from a “not wanting this shit to spread like wildfire” perspective.

Since our government, you know, doesn’t seem to know what the fuck to do about it.

Ah, the Pres says the virus is all a Dem hoax and the death numbers are false. I am comforted.

Wow.

Well, to be fair, he says he “has a hunch” the mortality numbers are high. Because that’s the kind of well-reasoned, fact-based assessment one wants from the leader of the government.

Also, the results from the test kits are beautiful, just like the letter, and the transcript. I wish I were joking.

I’m not sure if this is hysteria or precaution.

It’s both.

There’s not a great response to it, because it’s not a win or a loss.

It’s the right thing to do, but it hurts the economy/city too.

Fwiw, they’re selling it as precaution here in town and I believe they’re sincere.

But I’m still confused. I’m pretty sure that this year’s flu has killed more people than COVID-19, but nobody seems particularly concerned about that.

I am very concerned about flu because I live alone, but there is a vaccine I get which gives at least some protection. There is nothing yet for this rapidly-spreading virus. That is the scary part.

Flu has killed more people, but COVID-19 is killing at a roughly 20-30x higher rate while being at least as infectious as the flu.

Yeah, I could be dead wrong, but I don’t recall the Flu doing what this virus did in the Seattle nursing home.

Related to a question I had on the other thread, the chron today had a useful article on symptoms. Money info is as follows:

“WHO looked at 55,924 cases of the virus confirmed by laboratories and found 87.9% had a fever or a dry cough (67.7%), or both.

Less common symptoms were fatigue (38.1%), coughing up phlegm (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), joint pain (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), coughing up of blood (.9%) and eye discharge (0.8%).”

It’s easy to see how people would not know they had it and then infect others.

If I was Austin, I would be happy not to have tens of thousands of Typhoid Marys descending upon me and cramming themselves into small spaces ripe for community transmission.

Definitely. But that’s also why I’m taking the estimated mortality rates with a grain of salt. A lot of those symptoms are also known as “life in late winter/early spring” and probably go unreported, so I’m not sure how much confidence we can have in the denominator of the ratio.

I definitely am. But I also don’t run a business whose year might very well depend on the SXSW revenues. I think this was probably the right decision, but there are people here whose livelihoods are going to take an unpleasant hit because of it.

Of course. But imagine the flip-side, where people are quarantined because of proximity to someone with the virus. Or the whole city being on lockdown…

Italy has 16 million people under quarantine right now, including the cities of Milan and Venice.

Quarantining Austin is something I suspect a lot of Nexans could get behind.

1 Like

Fuckin’ Nexans.

Remaining 11 days of the Houston Rodeo have been cancelled.

MLB should do something.