Spring Training 2024

He went down a week or so ago.

So … What was he doing in today’s box score then? Or was it a typo of some kind?

Whitley was today? I know I read he was the first player optioned.

ETA: I replied to JBM, not to you.

Ahhh – I was not paying attention. Yes – Whitley has been out. Still wondering about Martinez.

Urquidy with the dreaded forearm strain.

Ouch…Hopefully both Jose and the organization and get to the bottom of whether or not surgery will be needed sooner rather than later but I’m sure they will try the rest/rehab approach first meaning he’ll be in a similar situation as Garcia and Lance next year (his final season before FA).

Code for Tommy John

4 Likes

Every single time

3 Likes

Bad outing for Hader today. I am seeing the box score only.

I would feel better today if there were info we are pursuing starting pitching.

Didn’t he have TJS a number of years ago? Or, am I misremembering that?

In the minors. He missed the 2017 season recovering from TJS.

1 Like

Thanks. I thought I remembered that. 6+ years on the rebuild. Not bad. I guess success rates on a 2nd rebuild are increasing from the traditional 50% success rate to 60-70%. And, anecdotally, as the Cubs James Taillion says, "My first one, my rehab was pretty tough and I never felt 100%. People would come up to me and ask me, ‘Hey, dude, what should I expect after getting Tommy John?’ I’d be like: To never feel good ever again. My second one was just like a new arm.”

Posted previously but worth posting again (and a great way to waste an afternoon poking around a spreadsheet), here’s a list of all TJS surgeries to date by John Roegele. There’s a tab in the spreadsheet for those pitchers that have had the procedure twice that includes their “real” recovery time (when they actually made it back to the Majors).

2 Likes

For what feels like the forth time this spring I see the Astros are being televised and decide to watch. I turn the game on, hear Eschenfelders voice and think “you know this is only a spring game, I can do without”

Writing from the Ft Lauderdale airport. Headed back to North Carolina after our Florida trip that included three Astros spring training games.

Mrs Astrojim, who has become a huge fan, camped out before the games in West Palm down the left field line. That vantage point gave us a great view of the starting 9 entering about 30 minutes before the game and a chance to wave at guys like Pena and Altuve and others like Kuhnel (Nice guy) We saw Thursday night’s game against Washington. Then two games yesterday: both the afternoon game in Jupiter against the Marlins and the home game last night.

A few simple quick observations: (I don’t claim to provide any real insights-only for your entertainment purposes-lol)

Yesterday, Josh Hader was mostly using off speed pitches but two fast balls were crushed for long home runs. He has a nice easy motion though and was just working on stuff IMHO. When he (Sort of) cut loose with a fast ball it was pretty lively. What you would expect. Only touching about 93 according to the scoreboard.

Joey Loperfido threw out a runner last night trying to stretch a single to a double. He seems to also have some plate discipline.

In two different plate appearances, Bregman swung on 3 and 0. (Spring training only!)

Javier’s pitches looked electric to me and he wasn’t missing his pitches by much.

Montero is hard to watch. When he found the plate he was giving up rockets.

Corey Julks looked very comfortable at the plate. He might lose out to a numbers game at the start of the season, though.

Altuve is off to a fast start. As always he seems to deliver a hit every time up. Incidentally, he stole third base last night. Not really necessary as we have seen before, but he had an excellent jump.

Easy to root for Jonathan Singleton. Yet, his power seems to be gone. In fact so is everyone’s power or lack thereof. The only home run we witnessed was Trey Cabbage’s in Jupiter.

I know it is just spring training but what a difference the speed game is under Espada. We are running early and often and most of the time are successfully taking the extra base first to third. Exciting to see.

One restaurant and hotel recommendation: The old Key Lime House is a great fun place on the water. We dined there on St Patrick’s night. Also, the Best Western on Palm Beaches Boulevard is a great place to stay with a retro feel. It’s a lot cheaper than the luxury digs that abound and nicer than the 0-6 cleanliness related rat traps. Opened in 1968, it was once called the Ramada on the Green. It used to even sport a golf course behind it that is long gone. Trivia: On Easter Sunday 1972 this is where Gil Hodges (In front of Room 158) collapsed and died of a heart attack after 27 holes of golf.

That is all! Trip was a blast. About to board the plane to Raleigh. Our first spring training trip since 2016 to Kissimmee.

And of course, it’s only spring training, so disregard any negative observations. Love to all.

5 Likes

This is great to know, thanks. We’ve never been to Spring Training and we decided that next year we’re going, so I’ll be hitting the board up for recs and all after the season. Really looking forward to it.

1 Like

Our family went to one game while we were in Fort Lauderdale visiting our daughter last week. It was fun to see guys I had met/watched in Greeneville now being with the big club. But what made it most special was being with family.

17 Likes

In a surprise move, Cesar Salazar was optioned today to Sugar Land.

Espada says Meyers is having x-rays done of his hand. I see in the box score that he was HBP today.

That opens up a spot for “who”?

Singleton, obviously.

2 Likes