Spring Training 2024

Yep. And even if Peña and Meyers just tread water, having defensive stars with subpar bats at 8-9 isn’t the end of the world. It’s not 2019 but it’s a good lineup.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it starts Opening Day. So he’ll miss the first 15 days, at least.

I am OK with that. It is a long season in this team has postseason aspirations. And he’s 41 years old. Having a 150 game season for him is not such a bad thing, Especially with evidence recently of him tiring in the Postseason.

1 Like

Oh I agree. I want the best version of JV we can get, and if that means he starts late, let him start late.

Ok, so been meaning to ask this question basically since the ST games started. Why is Jaworsky getting so much play? This question being asked assuming I’m right about that fact he was drafted less than a year ago in the 5th round out of HS. Is there anything we should read into this (i.e. they are extremely high on the kid)? Seems like there would be more deserving players.

ETA: Maybe this happens every year and this is just the first time that I have noticed.

The Astros aren’t going to be able to adequately replace players like Alex Bregman and Kyle Tucker with what they currently have in their minor league system. They don’t have an elite prospect at either third base or the outfield in waiting like they did with Jeremy Peña during Correa’s free agency. If Crane’s goal is to remain at the current championship level and either player leaves, upgrades to other parts of the roster will be necessary, or they will have to acquire suitable replacements via free agency or trade.

1 Like

I think I agree, but not sure Pena was widely regarded as an elite prospect either. He may have made the MLB top 100 his last year before making the jump?

Elite was too strong of a description, but Peña was #16 on Baseball Prospectus Top 101 of 2022, #30 on FanGraphs top 100 and #72 on Baseball America’s 2022 top 100. Good to very good is a more accurate word. At the time, his defense was ready, the questions were would his bat play at the MLB level.

Wow, I forgot BP was so aggressive on Peña.

As for Jaworsky, I hadn’t picked up on it, but it does seem like he’s getting more time on the MLB bench than you’d expect. All the more intriguing given that he was an off-the-board guy who not a lot of teams were in on, but who got an over-slot bonus anyway. Not sure there’s anything to read into it, but it can’t be a bad sign.

1 Like

I’m pretty well versed in the Astros Minor Leaguers and yet I have no idea who Jaworsky is.

I think you are correct. It is not even a “thing” until opening day and final roster cuts.

He got into nine games last summer for the FCL Astros – SS & 2B. I did not look it up, but I seem to recall that he started late and played regularly at the end of the season. He will only be 19 this year, and I not that while he has gotten into a number of spring games, he has very few ABs. My guess is that his glove is ready to be competitive (at least in the spring) and they are giving him some socialization experience. It will be interesting to see if he starts at Fayetteville this spring and how quickly he progresses with the bat.

ETA: I think some of his appearances this spring were in split squad games, too.

1 Like

Three encouraging innings from Blanco today …

3 Likes

:100:

Crane is at a crossroads.

1 Like

Man, it’s going to take me a bit to get used to the idea of Yordan batting 2 hole.

In that lineup Bregman is about three spots too high.

Bregman should bat 10th.

Bregman should be seen, not heard.

I saw Goody Bregman dancing with the devil in the forest.

2 Likes

He should bat 9B. Limit his chances to take a 2-0 fastball down the middle with the go-ahead run at 3B.

1 Like

You can always tell a Milford man.

2 Likes

Has Whitley pitched yet, or is that finger still holding him back?

What’s the story with Martinez? He started the 5th today and faced only one batter.