Science & Engineering Shit

Don’t tell my brother. He doesn’t know how to fly an airplane.

ETA - forgive my ignorance here, how does that equate to current batteries?

The best batteries in EVs are about 200 to 250 Wh / Kg. Most are about 180.
CATL, the worlds largest battery manufacturer, is the maker of the 500 Wh / Kg “condensed battery”.

1 Like

What is their buoyancy like?

2 Likes

What happens when it rains? Batteries don’t work when they’re wet.

Wait…I’m thinking of magnets. Or am I…

1 Like

Boat Anchor

Wow, micro soft fucked up or something.

The economic and legal penalties for such massive outages can be so minimal that companies are not motivated to make more fundamental changes.

Even worse…I had an appointment with DPS to get my driver’s license renewed. It’s been cancelled, and I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to get another before it expires. I’ll be an outlaw.

1 Like

from twitx:

Prominent security consultant Troy Hunt says ‘this will be the largest IT outage in history’ and ‘this is basically what we were all worried about with Y2K, except it’s actually happened this time’

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1814239723390705795

1 Like

unrelated to the topic: how far out in the future was your appointment when you scheduled it? Was talking to a cousin over the 4th and the soonest and closest they could get was 3+ months and about 100 miles away, which seems absolutely ridiculous

Not Microsoft. Crowdstrike. Completely different company.

2 Likes

Just cover your face with a bandana. Most of the time you’ll avoid a bounty.

Wait…this is the video game thread, right?

1 Like

The soonest I could get was about three days, but the soonest I could get a day I wanted (Friday) was two weeks. The office is about 0.5 mile from me.

1 Like

I regret to advise that my company’s computer systems are completely untouched by the outage, so I am having to work while the golf is on.

1 Like

This was for a new license + road test, so I’m assuming that has something to do with it. Still seems ridiculous.

“Mac users are more smug than usual.”

It’s that serious, people.

That’s probably it. I just rescheduled and the earliest I could get was 7/31. My license will be expired by then, so hopefully I don’t get busted and hauled off to Huntsville.

Everything seems to be working fine at my company too, and we use Microsoft for EVERYTHING.

Also, I just was able to reschedule my DPS appointment, even though they cancelled the one today saying all of their systems were completely down.

Last time I had to renew my license, I was able to renew my Texas drivers license online.

I meet all the eligibility requirements to renew online, yet they are telling me I cannot. They can’t explain why. So here I am. An outlaw. The State created me.

1 Like

As a “just in case of police interaction”:…I’d put a copy of your appointment confirmation in the glove box

Don’t they still require you to get a new photo/license every X years? Could that be it?