Science & Engineering Shit

You just know that somebody is going to make a 2nd amendment case for those things here (in the US, not Korea).

Definitely.

They’ll be a big hit on prom night.

Who is right; teacher or student?

My Answer

One cut = 10 minutes and makes 2 boards. To make 3 boards it takes two cuts = 20 minutes. The teacher - or, more likely, the author of the test - is an idiot.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not 5 minutes per piece produced, it’s 10 minutes per cut.

The next level answer is that some nitwit handed Marie a dull saw or a saw with too fine a pitch or more likely both.

The right handsaw can make quick work of even a 2 x 6. Most people revolt at the thought because they’ve never used a sharp saw.

So there.

1 Like

The teacher is trying to demonstrate proportions, but has conflated “pieces” and “cuts”. This is similar to the “off by one” or “fence post error”. It’s a misstatement of boundary conditions in a mathematical equation. Your answer is correct, btw.

3 Likes

chop saw takes about 5 seconds

1 Like

Trust me I would use that first.

Marie is too young for that.

Before I answer. I’d like to inspect the board.

Yeah, if there’s a knot in there, something needs to change.

Also is the board the same thickness from end to end? Can I make a cut from a corner to save time?

1 Like

A fresh hacksaw got me through a bunch of 3”-4” branches after the storm

1 Like

This is fascinating and ridiculous.

2 Likes

This is very cool

1 Like

I hope the fences don’t get in the way.

2 Likes

So, rename the Hooks to the Corpus Christi Infinium? (should be a gift article, so hopefully everyone can read it)

I found the article well written, for a technical topic.

However, I found the conclusion a bit underwhelming: as long as we’re releasing tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, this process will be a big improvement, if it’s can be brought to greater scale, AND those rules (clean energy sources for the electricity) are followed. But we know American industry, SCOTUS and a future Republican President are adept at ignoring and discarding rules.

2 Likes

This process is not energy efficient by any means. It can only work as long as batteries don’t have sufficient energy density for flight and a few other use cases AND electricity is dirt cheap. With 100% renewable electricity at $0.03/KWh, it might make sense.

That’s a great point alluded to in the article. The plant is currently producing diesel at $9/gal, which is roughly double the price of conventionally produced diesel. AND they’re entirely dependent on scalable clean energy, otherwise this is little better than greenwashing.

1 Like

There’s a new battery being introduced that will have 500 Wh per Kg. If this pans out, a lot of aviation will become feasible.

2 Likes