Science & Engineering Shit

Rather than simply posting stuff like this in the sci-tv thread or wherever…

Study published in the journal Science today based on computer modeling using data from the Cassini mission says…

• A moon that orbited Saturn for several billion years grazed the planet relatively recently (160MM years ago) which caused it to break up and form the rings

• That encounter may also have caused Saturn’s axial tilt

• And the gravitational effects of the encounter may also explain why the moon Titan is spiraling away from Saturn

6 Likes

Saturn ate his moon. Seems right.

3 Likes

I took an intro Astronomy class at UT. My mind was regularly blown by that stuff.

1 Like

The Space Force has their own song now:

1 Like

The spacecraft should have been called Nudgenik…

1 Like

So that was amazing!

ETA: Thanks for the heads up here. None of my friends knew it was happening either. It strikes me as one of the things that is wrong with America that not everybody watches this shit at the same time or even knows about it. How unbelievably rad.

2 Likes

The whole thread is worth a look:

1 Like

When NASA goes full Beavis and Butthead and starts smashing stuff because it’s cool. Because it is.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Gemini 8 doesn’t get enough attention.

And Neil Armstrong’s spacesuit is the one the says Bad Motherfucker.

2 Likes

BRB, gonna go watch this scene in From the Earth to the Moon.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me, for some idiot reason I can’t explain I’ve never watched that.

1 Like

The man had recurring nightmares that he’d be stranded on the moon, and strapped his ass to that rocket anyway.

4 Likes

Remember the asteroidlet into which we crashed a washing machine? It’s orbit changed.

Eat shit, Thanos.

2 Likes

They should give Yordan a crack at that next.

9 Likes

I heard he will be working with NASA during the offseason on a new low cost launch system. The Y.A.I.L.S. , Yordan Alvarez Impact Launch System. The biggest technical hurdle so far is overcoming the flattening of one side of the satellite during launch.

3 Likes

This is just nuts.

5 Likes