Science & Engineering Shit

WTF?

1 Like

Her name is “Ocean.” I think she’s pretty comfortable with a lot of that.

Also with heists.

2 Likes

There’s pandering, and then there’s pandering.

1 Like

Elizabeth Holmes sentenced to 11 years to work on her stare and voice.

For ten milliseconds today the datetime palindrome will extend to the full 4-digit year:
2022-11-22 22:11:22.02

3 Likes

Know what also doesn’t get enough attention? The Apollo 8 mission.
NASA and the country desperately needed a win in the space race at that time, if you will, and that mission delivered.

3 Likes

Neil Armstrong was the best pilot in the world. Chuck Yeager was a piker comparatively. Armstrong was probably the only person who could have saved Gemini 8, the only one who could ever fly the “Flying Bedstead” training apparatus, and the only person who could have landed the Eagle on the moon given the problems. He was never boastful of his piloting skills and always considered himself an engineer first and foremost.

4 Likes

This is a great related story from Neil Gaiman that’s worth revisiting: Neil Gaiman’s Journal: The Neil story (with additional footnote)
The gist:
*Some years ago, I was lucky enough invited to a gathering of great and good people: artists and scientists, writers and discoverers of things. And I felt that at any moment they would realise that I didn’t qualify to be there, among these people who had really done things.

On my second or third night there, I was standing at the back of the hall, while a musical entertainment happened, and I started talking to a very nice, polite, elderly gentleman about several things, including our shared first name. And then he pointed to the hall of people, and said words to the effect of, “I just look at all these people, and I think, what the heck am I doing here? They’ve made amazing things. I just went where I was sent.”

And I said, “Yes. But you were the first man on the moon. I think that counts for something.”*

2 Likes

I have a framed picture of the Apollo 11 crew in my office. I’ve had it since 1969.

3 Likes

I’d like to know how much extra RP-1 it took to get any of those astronauts’ gigantic brass balls in orbit.

You know how they say you should buy land because it’s the only thing they’re not making any more of? Someone is holding Hawaii’s beer.

1 Like

Not sure where to post this, but this thread seems the most appropriate. I guess, from an engineering perspective, it’s worth noting that this was one of the first fully electrified structures in the world, achieved by running bare copper wires through wooden conduits. No way that becomes significant later…

The iconic structure - essentially the world’s first theme park - burned down this day in 1936.

In its day, it hosted everything from numerous FA Cup finals and international athletic events to F1 Grand Prix races. There was a zoo and a concert bowl too.

WTF is this sorcery?

A few years ago they were installing a building sized screen across from my office and I watched them do this exact thing on a much larger scale.

1 Like

Yeah, this is how every modern Jumbotron is assembled, just on a much smaller scale. LCD/LED panels of that size aren’t one single piece.

Yeah. I knew they were a single panel, but the fact that they just stick a panel into the matrix and it starts working is what blew my mind.

Technology, eh?

You don’t want them too much larger than a baseball or they’ll be unnecessarily expensive to replace in the presence of Yordan Alvarez.

5 Likes