Science & Engineering Shit

We were out in Round Mountain and got lucky with some cloud thinning and a few breaks in the clouds at good times. As others have said, the suddenness of the onset of totality was striking, as was the depth of the darkness. There’s a huge difference between totality and even 98% or 99% coverage, which I was ignorant of before yesterday.

It was cloudy the whole time here, so we could see nothing. I was surprised that it didn’t get very dark. It just looked like a cloudy day. I know we were only like 95% coverage, but it got darker during the last one where we were only like 25%.

Umm…. The space telescope is in…space. Or maybe I’m missing the joke.

It’s also not from this eclipse.

Well way to poop in the punch bowl.

Had an eclipse drink-up at some friends’ house in SE Austin.
Clouds made things interesting, but our favorite local radio station, KUTX, played the entirety of ‘Darkside of the Moon’ culminating with the totality event and the end of the album. It was fucking solid having that as a soundtrack.

Got some superb views of the eclipse off and on.
Great fucking time.

3 Likes

Where in RM were you? We’re off the RM-Sandy Road.

Lincoln Smith Road. A friend’s place.

1 Like

Since this appears to be eclipse related I’ll put this here. Apparently chaos yesterday at the Austin airport and more expected today. Post-Eclipse Turmoil: Southwest Airlines Melts Down At Austin Airport - View from the Wing

Massive hail is definitely some post-eclipse turmoil.

We had three hail episodes move through Tuesday over our house, each about 4 hours apart. Luckily, they were relatively small, but that seems like a 1/1000 event. At least in the olds days, as hail seems more much common now.

1 Like

tennis ball size, biggest I’d seen since I was a kid

5 Likes

We are so fucked.

There are some tells if you take a minimal amount of time to scrutinize it. Very convincing at first glance though.

1 Like

That’s the thing: I wonder if I would’ve even thought of it as an AI creation if I didn’t know before watching it. It’s not out of the uncanny valley yet, but it can see the end from here.

This stuff is troubling for important identity proofing functions like liveness checking as you log onto important sites like banking or government sites.

2 Likes

Do we all have to sing the “Yub Nub” song?

2 Likes

.3 seconds later: “these goddamn wings don’t work!”

5 Likes