Science & Engineering Shit

From my brother in Kingsland.

7 Likes

Nice. We got squat here.

We got this here.

3 Likes

This sums up our experience in Katy:

And of course the sun came out right when it was all over.

ETA: so instead of a rainy day, we had a rainy early evening for about 5 minutes.

1 Like

From Central Austin. The clouds thinned just enough before and during totality. Fucking awesome.

7 Likes

Sweet fuck all for the eclipse here in Napa.

The clouds parted for about 90 seconds during totality here in Fredericksburg. We got a great view of the corona and Jupiter, but didn’t see the comet. It was very cool.

436166684_325518043877559_870888918822156149_n

4 Likes

Heres a few from up here in totality-land in VT. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. If ever you get a chance, do it. You won’t be disappointed. 98 or 99% is nice and all but that last 1% matters. All the magic happens when totality occurs. All these are simple iPhone pics:

From 10% to 90%, all the pics look like this (first is thru my $2.99 eclipse glasses and the second is no filter). These were taken at like 70%. Outside, it looked like a murky, cloudy day. Not any of the reds and oranges of a sunset.

1 Like

These next two are unfiltered at 98%. It was quite a bit murkier but still pretty bright. There is no way you could look at the sun with a naked eye. Thru the glasses, you could see just tiniest bit of the sun showing in the top, left corner:

And then, everything changed. In a span of 5 seconds, it went nearly dark, all birds stopped chirping and it went very quiet.

The JWST has got everyone covered:

4 Likes

The crappy cell phone pic does not do the actual eclipse justice. First, the sun/moon look much, much larger than in that pic. Second, all the pictures you see of the moon being a black disc with the sun’s corona brightly shining around it are not accurate to real life. What you actually see is THE MOON with the corona around it. More like this:

This is a high rez HDR picture, not a cell phone pic.

4 Likes

It was completely dark except you could see the bright air and land 25 miles to the east and 40 miles to the west where they were only 98 or 99% obscured. It was like a sunrise and sunset taking place at the same time. Here’s to the east:

…and, here’s to the west:

1 Like

Great pictures and descriptions, das. I agree it was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had. Utterly unreal.

1 Like

Last pics: I ran thru the woods to capture a pic of my house here in VT in the last 30 seconds of totality:

And, here’s a pic from a co-worker that was on the causeway that crosses Lake Champlain just north of town:

The reverse from totality to 99% obscured is just as fast as going from 99% to totality. Around 5 seconds and it’s like turning on a CFL that take a few seconds to warm up. You go from total darkness to the light of a cloudy day in 5 seconds.

4 Likes

Very cool experience. We were very fortunate that the clouds imparted some cool ambience but didn’t totally obscure things. Of course the phone pics don’t do it justice.

3 Likes

Here’s a zoomed in naked iPhone picture of totality from Fredericksburg.

2 Likes

I took these in southwestern Illinois in 2017 using my Canon digital SLR and a sheet of mylar held tight over the lens. I might have posted them here before.

6 Likes

It got nighttime dark here in New Braunfels but there was never a break in the clouds to see the eclipse. I was stuck inside getting treatment, so at least i didn’t miss getting a shot of the corona.