RIP, Ruth Bader Ginsburg

I do not believe we ever let them inside, but we tried telling them we were Catholic and happy with that. They then tried to convince us for quite a while we were wrong.

A friend of mineā€™s family was increasingly harassed by a couple of Mormon guys every day for close to two weeks, to the point that the Mormons would sit at the end of their driveway and prevent them from backing their cars out. My friendā€™s dad walking out and cocking a shotgun finally brought an end to it.

Our harassment was telephone. All day. Every day.

A good friend, co-worker, and car pool partner is a very active Mormon. Heā€™s never tried to convert me or convince me of anything, even when weā€™ve talked religion. I do admire his kindness to everyone he meets, his charity, and his relentless pursuit to be industrious. I donā€™t know if heā€™s different with others, however. Heā€™s fairly politically conservative, but I think thatā€™s more about oil drilling and regulatory impediments to business than religion.

I had Mormon neighbors like that. No proselytizing ever. We were good friends because of this.

A decent portion of the floorball community is Mormon. Interestingly, there is a decent sized Finnish Mormon population. Theyā€™re not pushy about religion at all, and it never comes up.

But then again, Finns generally donā€™t talk at all, let alone about religion.

Iā€™ve never had a problem shooing them off when theyā€™ve come to my door. They seem to believe my threats or maybe they find my colorful language repulsive. It seems all religious sects have mostly good people but it only takes a few bad ones to give the whole cult a bad rap.

Floorball? I wondered what it was so I looked it up. Turns out I played shitloads of something like that as a kid. Had a few friends who played hockey, which was rare in 70s Houston, and that was something us novices could have fun with, without have good stick handling skills.

Iā€™ve been a member of the Austin Floorball Club for about 17 years, and the League Coordinator for the last 4.

Of course, it looks to be a bigger arena than the driveway, so yā€™all must be in pretty good shape. The main difference is that our goalies could have a stick and glove. Did goalies ever have gloves in the early days of floorball?

Nothing more than batting gloves/WR gloves, no.

Floorball goalies have always been hands only.

I occasionally play goalie.

From a spectator: floorball is amazingly sophisticated and like hockey. Lots of passing and lots of plays, just no body checking. I enjoy watching it.

ā€œWould you like to change religions and get a free book written by Jesus?!?!ā€

Mormons are like Aggies. Individually they are most often terrific people, but once they get in a groupā€¦

Thus the old saying about why you never put an Aggie in charge of HR

Zipper unfriended me on Facebook for a much more benign Aggie joke.

at least you know the reason. Iā€™m not sure what I did but I apparently have my way here on this site. Maybe someone else can tell me, but if not, thatā€™s ok.

Now I want to know the answer.

It appears we have now achieved the status of political metaphor

The deal proposed by @DavidAFrench is not a good deal. It would be like the Dodgers promising to bench Mookie Betts in the World Series if the Astros promise not to cheat again. https://t.co/tx8Xoahbt8

ā€” Tim Carney (@TPCarney) September 22, 2020

Really? Whatever happened with the old mantra, ā€œBring it strong or donā€™t bring it at allā€¦ā€?