RIP, Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The Georgia special election is for ® Kelly Loeffler’s seat, who was appointed to replace Johnny Isakson when he retired due to failing health. It’s an open primary and doesn’t look like any candidate will get 50% of the vote, so probably headed for a runoff in January.

So, Mitt is on board. Reasoning: Lame shit about same party for President and Senate, so it’s not hypocritical. OK Mitt, if that helps you sleep. I thought he had a thread of decency, but I was terribly wrong.

This is another reason why the rush to crash through RBG’s successor before the election. Loeffler is running to keep her seat (and stay out of jail) but, unless there’s an outright winner, the top two vote-getters move on to the January runoff. If Loeffler isn’t one of them, she loses her seat immediately.

Between Loeffler and McSally, McConnell could lose two votes in the Senate in November, so his chances of confirming a nominee in the lame duck session are worse than pushing it before the election.

FTR, Loeffler is currently the front-runner in the Georgia election, but with 25-30% of the vote depending on the poll.

Even though this would still be a little on the nose regardless of past shenanigans, what is making this look as bad as it does is the Garland shit from 2016. If they had sat Garland, the issue wouldn’t be nearly as fraught.

I have not given up the seat and I do not forgive Republicans for stealing now 2 seats on the court (plus putting a drunk rapist on there), but there are no procedural vehicles for Senate Democrats to do anything about it so I am trying to preserve my energy for other things.

And Romney isn’t a decent man, despite the occasional flashes of such. Don’t forget, he’s the Wall Street raider who avoids income tax by living off carried interest and who thinks corporations are people.

1 Like

Two words: Bain Capital.

Romney is a money-grubbing charlatan. There’s not a decent human bone in his body. He’s Donald Trump with better hair. He will do what Trump tells him to do. We all knew that.

Is this correct? My understanding is that she’d hold her seat through the runoff in January, assuming no one wins 50% of the vote in November’s election.

He voted to impeach Trump for high crimes and misdemeanors, but thinks it’s ok for Trump to pick a judge who will very likely sit in judgement of other high crimes and misdemeanors.

That’s some fucked up circular logic.

I thought she had to step down straight away, but maybe that was wishful hearing.

I honestly do not care if he gets his SC Justice before the election. That will remove the incentive for conservatives and undecided to vote to re-elect him to get another conservative on the Court.

I’ve been having the same thought. It seems like a tactical error, but one that McConnell might be constitutionally unable to resist.

Agree re tactical error. Wooing the undecided with the carrot of an appointment or confirmation after the election would be a good way to keep the undecided tethered, seems to me.

That was my thought too, assuming there is a significant cadre of GOP single issue judiciary voter who wouldn’t otherwise hold their nose and vote for Trump.

But if anyone has cynically and thoroughly analyzed the issue, its McConnell.

Romney is Mormon slime. He is the political version of those disgusting multi-level marketers.

McConnell may want to be rid of Trump as much as we do. Could be he thinks this is a win-win scenario.

That would be a risky play as if Trump goes, he may go also.

I’m good with them both going.

Don’t know about slime, but when Mark’s mom and I were newlyweds, we let a couple of those guys on bicycles in because they had come by a bunch of times. “What can it hurt,” says we. “We will listen, say no, and that will be it.”

Uh, no. I thought we would never get rid of them, and it took quite a bit of impolite, sometimes profane, language to get them to leave us alone.

It’s a multi-level marketing scam posing as a religion. Some of its foundational tenets are provably false. Not false as in chuck thinks they’re bullshit, false as in empirically not true.

Scientology lite

Believe me, I am not arguing for the Mormons. I am telling you my experience.