RIP, Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Your cavalier attitude does not change the fact that the American people will suffer for generations.

2 Likes

Putting the majority back in charge would take a revolution. For better or worse, the deck is stacked for minority rule, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I am the furthest thing from cavalier. I’m saying they must expand the court, they must revise ditch or coopt the electoral college, they must end tyranny of the minority. It’s the only way to mitigate the suffering—and not just of American people. If they don’t have the grapes to try it they don’t deserve anyone’s support.

I was talking about Murkowski, and she didn’t vote to confirm Kavanuagh.

1 Like

Murkowski did not. Limey is thinking of Collins. Collins is up for re-election this year, Murkowski is not.

1 Like

I agree. The Dems have been playing by the rules for far too long, while naked power has seized all the open terrain. Being timid and not openly advocating for majority, democratic rule has gotten them nowhere.

I understand. As Limey has pointed out, Collins is no shoe-in for a Yea vote either.

It’s probably a done deal, but not necessarily so. People said the repeal of Obamacare was a no-brainer, but the obvious outcome doesn’t always come to pass.

If Collins loses her election, she’s an automatic yes for confirmation. If she wins her election, she’s an automatic yes for confirmation. There is no way Collins doesn’t vote to confirm whatever idiot Trump throws up there.

1 Like

Collins et al will express concern, wring their hands a bit and then vote however Mitch tells them to, as usual.
People often make the mistake of thinking republicans are decent, moral people that will do the right thing. They aren’t. They are craven, unprincipled cowards who think of nothing but money and power, leading a rabble of ignorant syncophants.

3 Likes

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

What I have seen on Murkowski is that she is saying she won’t vote on a nominee before the election. That’s very different to not voting until the new president has been inaugurated and made a nomination.

I hope she has both feet planted firmly in the fire on that obfuscation.

Here’s a little bit of pee in McConnell’s strawberries: if Kelly beats McSally in Arizona, because McSally was appointed to that seat, Kelly does not have to wait until January to replace her. He can be sat in November, which thins McConnell’s majority by 25%.

Now, I don’t know if McConnell resist that change; we all know he will whether he can or not, but it’s another front for him to defend which is always good.

How’s Arizona looking? Bad for Trump and McSally:

Dems are likely to gain seats in AZ, ME, and one more, I forget which. They’ll likely lose one in GA. Republicans will maintain a Senate majority, 51-49.

FiveThirtyEight has the Democrats slightly favored to win the Senate:

Not seeing the math there. They say the Dems are favored, but show 51 Republicans to 49 Dems. This squares with Dem flips in ME, CO, AZ, and NC, and Dem flops in AL and GA. And I wouldn’t exactly pencil in NC. I just don’t see the Dems winning the Senate.

Isn’t that the 50-50 split scenario? Win 4, lose 1, net 3, tie.

FWIW, Susan Collins is saying that whoever wins the election should make the SCOTUS nomination.

That’d be four gains, two losses for a net Dem gain of two seats. 51-49 Republicans.

I didn’t think there was a Democrat Senator from Georgia. Who is it?

No Democrat Senator from Georgia. Both Loefler and Perdue are Republicans.

Perhaps I’m confused. I was thinking the special election was to replace a Dem, but I guess not. Still, at 538 I count 51 Republicans. Perhaps I can’t count either.