Red Sox @ Astros, Memorial Day 2021

If it’s only a HR in 1 or 2 parks, it’s a double off the wall in most others.

I don’t get it either.

Spaghetti cooks faster than rice.

I’m not watching the game and didn’t see, but maybe those “off the bat” numbers don’t account for different stadiums and the dinger would’ve been an out somewhere else? Otherwise I got nothin’.

It’s because MinuteMaid is a joke and the Astros are cheaters. Get with the story.

4 Likes

That has to be it. They can’t account for the actual game circumstances because there was a 100% chance that ball was a hit.

Outstanding point. Maybe you split the difference and use orzo.

Nutmeg’s the way to go with chili these days, you know. Only culinary savages are using cinnamon anymore.

1 Like

I also wonder if the numbers are only based on launch angle + exit velo. If a ball then gets caught in the wind or humid air or something, maybe it screws with the numbers. I have not found any of the statcast stuff that useful regardless.

See: Kyle Tucker yesterday. Gets a HR on a reasonably well hit fly ball to LF…gets a flyout on a smashed ball to CF.

1 Like

Martinez draws a 2-out walk…Red Sox first base runner

Shallow fly ball to LF ends the inning

4-0 Astros

As long as you remember the cocoa powder you’ll be ok.

As I understand, the point of xBA is to take defense out of the equation…how good the fielders are, positioning, etc. But on a ball that clears the fence, it doesn’t matter how good the defense it or where they’re playing. It cannot be an out. It’s a true outcome, already independent of defense. I guess I’m just not hip to this particular stat.

I listened to an inning of ESPN’s coverage. GOOD LORD THEY SUCK!

ARod and who…?

JLo?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they’re projecting the trajectory of the ball and then figuring out what an “average” fielder would do with that trajectory in each of the 30 parks. Now, whether you believe in their projection or guess about what constitutes an “average” fielder or what he would do with it is a different question.

1 Like

xBA (and other x stats) ignore the park in question

1 Like

So it doesn’t take into account the actual ballpark in which the game is being played?

No Arod, Eduardo Perez and Tim Kirkjian and some guy. Kirkjian has a horrible high pitched voice that cracks and goes up an octave if he thinks what he is saying is interesting.

Correct, it’s meant to compare how balls in play would turn out in any park. So on the flip side, you could have a 110 mph laser to LF with a xSLG of 3.900 thats just a loud double at Fenway.