Punishments are official

I feel much the same Doyce. I don’t think Crane had much choice. I’m most upset about AJ. He just seems to be such a great human being that I find it hard to believe he got wrapped up in this mess. He made a serious mistake by not being more vocal about ending what he obviously knew was wrong. It cost him his job and he knew better. I guess he’s human like the rest of us. I wanted to puke when I saw Trevor Bauer’s tweet today with the Hinch video. Today was embarrassing for the franchise. It is a stain that will never be lifted, but perhaps will fade some, if/when we can win another title.

I just have so many different feelings and issues about all of this. One minute I’m pissed at the league. The next minute I’m pissed at our players for putting AJ, the franchise and the fans in this situation. This will be with this franchise for a long time to come.

The situation with Hinch is extremely odd. Hinch has always struck me as (1) a player’s manager, (2) a straight shooter, and (3) someone who doesn’t tolerate a bunch of crap. He knew better and says he didn’t like the scheme. So how did it go on?

Hinch reportedly destroyed the monitor twice. I can imagine a scenario where instead of focusing on what they’re supposed to be doing at the plate, the players are dicking around with the monitor and trash can, they misread a sign, and a guy makes an out in a key situation, costing them the game. And Hinch’s response is to destroy the monitor with a bat then go into the clubhouse and raise hell and chew everyone out.

But whatever the circumstances when the monitor was destroyed, given the respect Hinch appeared to command in the clubhouse, him destroying the monitor once should’ve been enough to put an end to it. But it was reinstalled, destroyed again, then reinstalled again. Were front office guys overruling Hinch and having it put back? Cora? The players themselves? It seems unlikely Cora and the players would do that, unless Hinch expressly assented to it.

It doesn’t really add up. Obviously Hinch should’ve displayed the leadership necessary to stop the cheating outright, as Jim points out. But for the guys to keep doing something highly illegal and risky that they know Hinch opposes?

If the players really did keep going knowing Hinch was not on board, they must feel absolutely miserable about it now. He lost his job because he failed to take a stronger stand against something they were doing wrong. The responsibility still falls on him. That goes with being manager. But it still sucks.

crane has been a creep from day one. he sold out the national league. so milealkie could actually compete. Then he sells out a good team management. i would resign as pitching coach if it was me, if i had integrity. game has zero integrity ti me. players not punished, other teams not punished. If i go back to my original team the yankees, they can do anything. reason i became an astros fan. they could buy anything. fiers was mad and incompetant. pitching coach should leave. integrity is in the eye of the beholdet.

No, integrity is not “in the eye of the beholder.” Integrity is doing the right thing no matter what anyone thinks or says. Hinch did not, and I am disappointed in him for not drawing a line with Cora, Beltran, and any other player who was involved.

The only possible justification for the firing is if, as others have said, Luhnow and Hinch violated a specific directive from Crane. That will get anyone in any job fired. Any other reason is nothing more than kissing Manfred’s ass. His reason for not penalizing players in a “player-driven system” is laughable. Surely his stool pigeons knew exactly who was doing what.

I am angry and sick about this. Nothing like this has ever happened to one of “my” teams in a lifetime of fandom. When are the players going to speak up? Do they have the guts to do so? They disappoint me also.

1 Like

They players’ silence on this is deafening. It’s only a been a day, so I’ll give it a few more, but if they remain silent, it’ll clearly demonstrate to me how little respect they have for A.J. Hinch.

3 Likes

Keep going, you’re on a roll.

Yesterday work had me under an avalanche that I’m just now digging out of…I’m slowly getting caught up on this mess.

To me Manfred is a coward. He wanted a scapegoat to sacrifice to make a statement and thanks to Fiers he got one. This is not an Astros problem but Manfred wants sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible.

Losing AJ AND Luknow just makes me sick to my stomach.

Losing the draft picks just seems like it’s punishing the fans.

Is there any other example of the ones that actually broke the rules (players) getting nothing in any other life scenario?

Basically every time a college coach jumps ship right before the NCAA drops the hammer on a school

I’m guessing another gag order is in place. LMJ is doing some sniping at Trevor Bauer on Twitter but other than that even social media is quiet.

But if the players didn’t respect him enough to stop the video stuff when he told them to, I’d be shocked if anyone spoke up for him when it would only expose them to punishment and criticism.

See Carroll, Pete.

1 Like

It wouldn’t expose them to punishment…they don’t have to offer a confession. But a little “A.J. got caught up in a no-win situation…we love him and will miss him” would speak volumes…as would silence.

2 Likes

Ultimately the fatal wound was self-inflicted.

And I hope the players are sick to their stomachs over this.

I’m sitting in my home office this morning on the desktop. On the wall to my right are two framed posters. One of the S.I. cover from 2014 of Springer in the rainbows with the Your 2017 World Series Champs on it and the other with the Houston Chronicle “Champs” front page with the players holding the trophy post-game 7. I will probably take them down today and go shopping for some nice western art or something.

I will probably wear my replica ring to work all week.

Fuck Manfred and the Yankees. They can kiss my ass.

6 Likes

Exactly who I had in mind. John Calpipari was the other one that jumps out to me

MLB was at least savvy enough to announce this on the day of the National Championship game for College Football so it wasn’t the only sports story of the day.

I am withholding my outrage at MLB until the Red Sox judgement comes down. If a second time offender doesn’t get at least equal punishment (draft pick and fine wise), I will be upset. (BTW, I am expecting to be upset, I am just choosing to wait to be upset).

2 Likes

One of my buddies arrived to work to find a “Astros 2017 World Cheating Champs” sign taped to his computer monitor.

Leaving my Astros magnet on my car.

Wearing my Astros jacket the wife got me for Christmas.

F 'em. I’m not proud of this mess but there’s plenty this crew did that I am.

Let the haters celebrate. I suspect Rosenthal is going to drop a deuce in their punchbowl soon enough.

Am I the only one who read Luhnow’s release as blaming Hinch and absolving himself of any real responsibility?

He was blaming Cora while unsuccessfully trying to step away from the splash zone.

Yep. Heard for awhile he is not a good guy. Jim talked about his scout buddy hating the Astros FO, but it’s also lots and lots of people in baseball, not just old school anti analytics mlb folks. Sure some is jealousy but he just really rubs people the wrong way. His statement is just the latest example.