Other Sports

The Arsenal are now top of the table.

Stop the count!

The problem with making this weekend’s F1 race the kids special isn’t the youngsters on comms, it’s the insulting graphics by Fisher Price and the total lack of information presented therein.

Just giant, 90’s video game avatars showing the top 10 - and only the top 10 - and that’s it. Occasionally they would put up the intervals (in the most condescending way possible) but that’s all you got. No lap times, no ability to see position changes not directly on screen at the time, no tire information. Nada.

They didn’t even have the graphics to tell you which two cars they just jumped to. So with the usual ADHD-infused broadcast direction flitting around, it made it impossible to follow the race.

So I didn’t.

1 Like

These two are doing amazing things for the town of Wrexham. A football club should be a member of the community in which it resides, and two “Hollywood Elites” seem to get it better than many home grown club owners.

As Palace CEO Steve Parish has often said (paraphrasing): club owners are just custodians, the club was around before them and will be there after them, the job is to pass it on to the next custodian in better shape than when you found it.

If I am ever stuck in Manchester again with time to kill, I’m going to take the train to Wrexham.

Spoiler

19 games into its first season back in the EFL, Wrexham is sitting 2nd in League Two. There are three automatic promotion spots from League Two, plus one promotion spot via playoffs, so Wrexham is well-placed to gain back-to-back promotions.

2 Likes

What happens when a team that earns promotion is far worse than a team in the next league up facing relegation?

I would never want to see the Astros play the best team in AAA from last year, no matter how bad the A’s are/were.

Ask a Burnley or Sheffield Utd fan.

The stats above are:

Position - Team Name - Played - Won - Drawn - Lost - Goals For - Goals Against - Goal Difference - Points

• Everton being down here by dint of a 10-point deduction for systematic and ongoing cheating.

Here’s what those two are up against:

Derby Co. was the first club in Premiership history to be mathematically relegated in March.

Per Wikipedia:

They also accumulated the league’s lowest points total since the introduction of 3 points for a win with just 11 points, as well as the record for the fewest wins in a Premier League season with just 1 victory in 38 games; also most defeats (29), fewest goals scored (20), most goals conceded in a 38-game season (89).

2007–08 Derby County F.C. season - Wikipedia.

I thought the idea of promotion and relegation were interesting but this kind of thing makes it much less appealing to me.

Take it from a fan of what used to be a “yo-yo” club - one that went up and down like the Assyrian Empire - promotion and relegation keep the season “interesting” for those involved. Palace are now in their 10th season in a row in the Premier League, never having survived a single season in 4 previous attempts and yet still have never having finished in the top half in any Premier League campaign.

The overarching value of promotion/relegation battles is that it keeps the season interesting for the 75% of clubs who aren’t going to get automatic promotion. There are usually two or three teams fighting for the automatic spots, and the rest of the top half is fighting to make the playoffs. The bottom half are all staring bug-eyed at the trap door and grabbing their ankles.

The Premier League is a slightly different animal, in that the wealth gap between it and the Championship directly below it is vast. The wealth gaps between other divisions are far less severe. Still, the top half are all trying to get a spot in Europe for the following season, and the bottom half are ankle-grabbing like everyone else.

In Wrexham’s case, they built a League One club while still two divisions below it. They bollocksed up getting promoted in 2022, so they are that much better this year going into this season’s League Two campaign. There are only two relegation spots from League Two, so there are a number of clubs just flopping around in the mud but staying up because it’s so just difficult to be relegated. A team on the up - like Wrexham (and Notts Co. who are 6th) - can run over that shit like a bulldozer.

Relegation is devastating:

1 Like

Speaking of staring bug-eyed at the trapdoor, Eze is out for at least the next two games with ligament damage.

I will console myself with alcohol, and this video.

He makes even the routine look like ballet.

Not to leave out the other future world star currently gracing South London…

Brighton lose hilariously at Chelsea. Craig Pawson continues to be one of the very worst of an abysmal bunch of referees. Lots of handbags after the final whistle.

In. To. My. Veins.

Chris Richards played the full 90 for Palace yesterday.

Chris Richards is a 23-year USA international who joined Crystal Palace from Bayern the summer before last. This was only his sixth league start for Palace and only his 31st league start for anybody. He is a centre-back who occasionally fills in at full-back. In his professional career, he had only played in midfield for a few minutes against Nottingham Forest bar Sunday when, with Cheick Doucouré and Jeffrey Schlupp injured, he operated behind Jefferson Lerma and Will Hughes.

But he seemed unfazed and, if the lack of energy and imagination from West Ham was largely a result of their own flatness, he should take some credit for restricting their threat. When crosses did flash across the box, he won six aerial duels to help protect Palace’s point. “He did well,” said Roy Hodgson. “We’d been preparing to play with a certain formation in mind, but it had to be changed when we lost Jeff Schlupp overnight. But the decision was Chris should go in there and he must be very pleased with his performance.”

1 Like

ETA: Richards was voted Man of the Match by Palace fans.

Shit! Arsenal just scored in the 97th minute (of 6 minutes stoppage time, naturally) to pull out 3 points in a 4-3 victory. Luton Town really looked like they would get a point.

1 Like

That as beautiful. Had to cut my camera off during a zoom call to do a little celebration

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so…

GTA 6 trailer released shows the next iteration of the game will be based in a fictional city in Florida.

Meanwhile, actual Floridaman…

1 Like

Chris Richards starting for Palace again this afternoon. He could end up being a regular starter as Cheikh Doucouré - who he is subbing for - might be done for the season.

If Palace score, VAR is going to wind the tape back so far looking for a reason not to give it that the slow motion will be in black and white.

#24 was offside

When?

1. No goal.
1 Like