Other Sports

I didn’t watch the games today, so I have no idea what you are referring to, but you have my full support behind your statement.

Yes. They screwed Arsenal but they still won. :heart_eyes:

They screwed Palace harder. That was the difference.

I want able to watch so just going off what I read online.

In case you need written confirmation of what your eyes tell you every week, refs manning the VAR controls are covering for their “mates” at the game.

As I have always said: VAR is a tool, operated by idiots, signifying that the fix is always in.

1 Like

Haven’t read this yet, so if this is brought up, oops.

They hide behind the “clear and obvious error” language. Meaning you can argue almost anything is not a clear and obvious error in your judgement and allow it to stand. Get rid of that verbiage and order them to just get the call right. Plus have an independent panel that reviews close calls and hands out discipline.

1 Like

But isn’t the “clear and obvious” part important when overturning a call? Without it, it’s just a free for all with any sort of whacked interpretation allowed. That may not solve the corruption problem, but I’m not sure making it easier for them absolve bad calls is either.

Agreed. But the “clear and obvious” error issue is even more insidious than you think.

It is obvious that refs are reluctant to make calls against the big clubs, especially late in games. This has always been true. But now they can hide behind VAR by not making the call and having VAR make the decision. This would not be a bad thing without the C&O threshold, but the fact of the non-call by the on-field referee means that any VAR review is severely hamstrung, so it’s a loaded question.

So they didn’t call an obvious infraction against, say, Arsenal, when replays showed that Partay clearly kicked out at Eze as he ran past Partay with the ball, because the VAR official hid behind the C&O requirement. The on-field referee hid behind the VAR decision, that is only given the way it is because of the C&O requirement and, Hey Presto! A referee centipede, sewn into a circle, where each is feeding the same shit to each other.

1 Like

I get what you are saying and in the macro you are correct. But with soccer, only penalty vs no penalty and offsides vs no offsides(goals only) are under the purview of VAR. Every goal or potential contact in the box is checked already, now, as the game continues. Lowering the bar from, did the ref make a mistake here? To, is that a penalty? Should go a long way to solving the issue

1 Like

Bingo. There is an arrogance to the C&O test that assumes the onfield referee saw everything and made a conscious decision one way or the other. It does not take into account that the referee simply may not have seen it because he was looking at something else.

VAR is allowed to call the referee’s attention to things like violent contact that happen away from the focus of play, anywhere at any time. All we need is for VAR to be able to say “I’ve seen this and you might have missed it because there was a crowd of players”. The referee can then respond by saying “No, I saw that and let it go” or “OK, let me go look at the screen at the next break in play”.

It’s not fucking rocket surgery.

Luton are in a mood to have a go at Chelsea. Love to see it.

Caisedo - Chelsea’s £115 million man - just stepped on the ball, fell over and gifted possession to Luton from which they nearly scored. I say this to praise Caisedo because at least he didn’t give away a penalty.

20 minutes in, and Arsenal should have about four goals. Instead, they trail 1-0 on an awful giveaway.

How is the fucking game not stopped with a defender down in the fucking penalty box. Fucking cocksucking ref

1 Like

Pretty simple, really: are you one of the Big Six? No? Then fuck off.

Exactly. If it was at the other end and Saliba or White was down the game would have been stopped. If it was away from the play then whatever but IN THE FUCKING BOX? Fuck off

Arsenal are not winning so we get 9 minutes of added time

That was absolutely ridiculous.

Watching them play in the downpour brought back memories, got to play in lots of slop growing up in Houston.

Had ManU-Nottingham on the other screen, that was entertaining.

Even putting the injury part aside. Where he was on the field means that it’s impossible for Arsenal to be off sides because he’s on the fucking endline, “playing” everyone onside. That changes everything about how to have to defend. This ref today was hard to figure out. At times he was very lenient and let some tough tackles go that could have been fouls. Then at points was very whistle happy on very soft ones. Really hard to play with such an inconsistent ref.
Outside of not stopping the game in that moment I thought he was pretty fair for both sides, just inconsistent.

1 Like

Such a shame that this guy is tarnishing the team’s spectacular win. These things always end with the idiot resigning, but allowing him arrogantly to hang around only means there’s more wreckage to clear up after he goes finally.

When even FIFA says “this guy’s gotta go”, you know things are bad.

2 Likes