Other Sports

Damn it, here comes another undeserved victory for United.

1 Like

Well-constructed goal in the end. Wolves can’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo. If they could, they’d be strutting out of Old Trafford with a nice 4-1 road win under their belts.

Also, WT absolute F was going on with that VAR decision at the end!? If I was a Wanderer, I’d be on my way to firebomb Stockley Park.

In a weird way this begins to explain a series of questions I’ve long had regarding Fairport Convention.

1 Like

or any band that features a banjo. Might as well have bagpipes too. Fun fact, the Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke but the Scots haven’t caught on yet. I’m sure there’s a similar tale about the banjo. Hey!

What do you think of Richard Thompson?

I want to like him a lot more than I do. I went on another binge about six months ago and quickly recovered. What do you think?

Bagpipes Story:

Not long after I had moved here, I had made the acquaintance of a gentleman who was Welsh and a former rugby player. I offer this background to give you an idea of the oceans of alcohol that this guy could, and regularly did, ingest.

He was having a party in his sizable back yard for his wife’s birthday. At some point during the evening, there was a loud knock at the door. Dave opened the door - expecting to see an angry neighbor or cops - only to be confronted with an entire bagpipe troupe in full regalia.

As it happened, this was all a few days after St. Patrick’s Day. At some Irish pub somewhere, these pipers had performed and Dave had invited them to come over to the party the following Saturday; and then promptly drunk himself into oblivion and forgotten all about it. Yet here they were.

Not wanting to waste their time, he invited them in and they set up to perform. About three notes in to their first number, every dog within earshot (a dog’s earshot, which is quote some distance) lit up like a banshee. The cops actually showed up a bit later and shut them down.

There was much rejoicing. Dave hates bagpipes. So do I.

1 Like

I was never a fan of Fairport Convention although I think Sandy Denny has an angelic voice. I like Richard Thompson a lot. Great guitarist with a nice ethereal singing voice. He has some great songs. I mean…

I know you’re not asking me (why should that stop me y’know) but i tried really hard to get into Thompson but to no avail. Even the celebrated album he did with his ex, it was all just not interesting, i had to force ,yself to listen to the whole album.

1 Like

Well, you know what the say about taste. I tried real hard to get into Jeff Buckley and couldn’t, same with Rufus Wainwright.

1 Like

I can’t deal with Sandy Denny’s voice. RT is a great guitar player and I like his voice a lot, and I like a nice handful of his songs. But on the balance somehow, I don’t know, it’s just a little too English and a little too pastoral for me. Which is weird because I love Nick Drake.

Like I said, I’d like to like him more than I do.

If the company he keeps has any influence or makes it weirder here’s this. Allen Toussaint, Levon Helm, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe and Richard.

I have a notable resemblance to this description.

2 Likes

Well played Lionesses! 3-1 winners. On to the final.

Great goals from Toone and Russo, plus Hemp creating her own chance with some characteristic hustle. Toone’s goal was exceptional; she really got the laces through it as indicated by the finish with both feet off the ground.

The Matildas scored an amazing goal of their own; Kerr lashing a shot over the England keeper from distance on the run. They really made a good match of it and the result was still undecided until Russo scored England’s 3rd in the 87th minute.

The skill, speed and strength of these players is incredible. To wit, if you’ve ever marveled at the abs on Christiano Ronaldo or Andy Roddick, check out England’s Alex Greenwood:

So…is West Ham any good?

No. Why does the PL seem always to serve us up these bottom of the table clashes?

Bring on a top of the table clash tomorrow. Palace - Arsenal.

Sweeeeeeet, I’ll be home by that time.

What network, peacock?

Yes. Peacock at 2pm CDT.

1 Like

Nevermind, wrong thread.

PL refs are absolutely terrible. That is all.