Other Sports

Both goal keepers were great. Missing the net twice and bouncing one off the post was unfortunate execution at best.

1 Like

The choke job was not winning the group.

Agreed. They played well today, for the most part, and it just didn’t go their way. It happens. But life would have been much easier against South Africa, not to mention having to deal with Japan next.

1 Like

Congrats to Nigeria, who in no way deserved to lose that game. Congrats to England, who showed that the women’s game is catching up to the men’s by having their star player get a straight red for a petulant kick-out at an opponent. Unlike the men, though, they didn’t fuck up the penalty shootout.

Now I think I need to lie down.

Ronan O’Gara, one of the greatest Irish rugby players of all time, coaches French rugby club La Rochelle. His team talk simply warms my heart.

https://twitter.com/JoeNaConnacht/status/1688631819925626881?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1688631819925626881|twgr^0f4f7aa784eb65a279d97cb2580afc4988c9b4bb|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsport%2F2023%2Faug%2F09%2Fformer-ireland-rugby-star-ronan-ogara-turns-the-air-bleu

1 Like

Used to piss me off on a regular basis in the Six Nations.

I didn’t think the Irish would ever have a better No. 10. Until some kid named Johnny Sexton came along.

Fun fact, O’Gara was born in San Diego and therefore qualified for the USA. Not that he ever gave that option much thought, of course.

1 Like

It took Haaland all of three minutes to begin the defense of his scoring title.

1 Like

Ladies, root for a man who takes more than three minutes to score.

2 Likes

I decided to swap him in for Kane in my fantasy team about 3 hours ago, and make him my captain. Looks like I chose wisely.

Well he did score again 33 minutes later, kinda like a young Hudson.

There are captains in FPL?

You get x2 points for the Captain.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day of futbol. Lionesses vs. Colombia at 5:30am, followed by 7 hours straight of Premier League.

This includes Palace’s season opener on the road to newly promoted Sheffield Utd. The home crowd will be amped to be back in the show, so the energy will be off the charts, but we have Ebs.

I’m going to go ahead and catch the highlights of this one if that’s all the same to everybody.

2 Likes

JJ’s Burnley getting a rude welcome to the PL. Down 0-3 to Citeh.

…and now they have had a player (correctly) sent off. Straight red, so that’s a 3-match ban.

Fulham kick off their season tomorrow away to Everton, really need to win one of the first two games because games 3 and 4 are away to Arsenal and City. Who the fuck set that up? Should be illegal to have back to back away games vs those two.

1 Like

Fulham wins, it’s a good day! If the Astros win later, it’ll be a great day.

Wasn’t always pretty, Everton had all the chances in the world but not having a striker that can finish might haunt Everton this year. At least if Calvert-Lewin doesn’t get healthier this year than he has in a few years. I want to say Fulham got away with a smash and grab today but they were in control for large portions of the game. Fulham really missed Palhinha today, any time he doesn’t play Fulham is really open to counters.

The game basically followed the same pattern for 90 minutes. Fulham would possess the ball, get into a good position, but not be able to find the right pass and give the ball away. Everton would then counter fast, get a decent to great chance and either miss or Leno would make a great save. Heart in throat kind of game for a Fulham fan.

I love and hate what this sport does to me. Every game is like watching postseason baseball.

1 Like

I bought Calvert-Lewin for my fantasy team - he was an incredible bargain. Two days later, he was listed as questionable to play.

We are not yet through round 1 of this season, but I’m going to go ahead and predict that all three promoted clubs will be relegated.

Sheffield may well smash Derby’s record for lowest points total. If you let Palace do this to you, at home with the crowd all pumped, how are you going to fare in the dark of winter when you’ve had 3 months of the league stuffing you like a turkey?

Dwyane Wade’s tribute to his Dad at his HOF induction.
Beautiful!
(13 Aug 23)