Other Sports

Zaha going to Galatasaray makes absolutely no sense to me. He was offered a 4-year, £40 million contract to stay at Palace…at age 30. I guess the other shoe will drop when we find out how much they’re paying him.

At least he didn’t sign with another Premier League club.

He did post a classy message to Palace fans:

As I start a new chapter I want to speak to you Palace fans who mean so much to me.

We have been through so much together, including 10 years in the Prem. There are loads of amazing memories that will stay in my head forever and also some really tough times along the way, but I’m so proud to have played my part in getting us to the Prem and helping to keep us there.

I’ve been wearing the Palace shirt since I was 8 years old, it’s literally been my second skin and I always gave EVERYTHING when I wore it.

You have all seen me angry and frustrated, but you’ve also seen my hunger and passion and the joy that I take from winning, and I hope that is the memory that lives on in the minds of Palace fans.

I grew up two roads away from the bright lights and loud crowds of Selhurst Park, having no idea that I would be at the centre of it all one day, and have the amazing journey I’ve had with this amazing club.

So I would say to my 8 year old self, dream BIG and only you can kill your dream.

I want to thank Steve Parish, all of my teammates, coaches and the entire Palace fanbase for always believing in me and encouraging me to get to where I am today. I have been blessed to play in front of you and call you family from the day you accepted me.

From the bottom of my heart, I’m forever grateful.

Wilf. ❤️💙

Women’s football is bullshit.

Take a bow, Sophia (de)Braun(e).

Nice goal.

Haiti have reason to be disappointed with the officiating in today’s match against China. Twice in the second half they were fouled in the box harder than the foul that netted China a penalty kick and their only goal, and nothing was called. Actually, a penalty was called on one of them, and then VAR took it away.

1 Like

This WWC ad from France is an all timer.

7 Likes

FIFA’s gotta FIFA.

Holy shit that was good.

2 Likes

There’s nothing Ebs can’t do, it seems.

https://twitter.com/cpfc/status/1685185387139133440

1 Like

He can damn sure catch a wobbly 40 yard pass

1 Like

This eases the pain of Wilf’s departure.

He’s 19.

1 Like

OK…I’m going to try adding the EPL to my sports-followings. I’ve decided Palace and/or Leeds (tbd) will be my focus. I’ve played through high school and some since, and I love international competitions, so I at least know what I’m watching.

When does it start again? How do I watch it? What’s the best internet site/source for info? Yall help a noobie out.

1 Like

Aug 11, I think. TV on USA Network, streaming on Peacock. Quite a few of the matches are only on Peacock.

2 Likes

That’s a good start, since I have both.

You have a favorite online site for news/info?

Not really. I just read what ESPN puts up. I’m sure Limey has much better recommendations.

1 Like

What Austro said. Palace’s first game is Sat. Aug 12, away to newly-promoted Sheffield Utd (massive banana skin alert).

As to sources of info, the internet is your oyster. Every UK newspaper site will have good info, but I would avoid the Mail as it is 80% eyeball-shredding ads, 15% clickbait and 5% actual news. My go-to is the Guardian, who also have a podcast that has its moments but is too “Big 6” focused for my “Other 14” sensibilities.

If you’re going to go with Palace - and I think you should - you ought to watch “When Eagles Dare” on Amazon Prime. It’s five 60-minute episodes and is fantastically well made (IMHO).

1 Like

The North American Floorball League final is tonight at 6 Central: Fresno Force vs Florida Vikings for the cup.

Watch it here: FINAL: Florida Vikings vs. Fresno Force - YouTube

Hell yeah, I’ll start with that. Does it have current players?

There are a one or two current players, but it’s primarily about the insane 2012/13 season, so the vast majority of their boots have been hung up.

FYI, Mile “Jedi” Jedinak is a man. There are many dudes, but he’s a man.

1 Like

FotMob s a great app/website to stay on top of scores. You can favorite teams and will see the first, with times and TV info. As for general soccer news, twitter is great. I set up and pinned a list for Arsenal and USMNT. Find some big accounts for the team who you want to follow add the list, then see he they follow and add them.

1 Like

I have a habit of, after recommending something to someone, I go back to watch the beginning to see what a new viewer would see. I did that with When Eagles Dare, and now I’m on Ep 4.

Grit, Poo and “Zaha…oh yes!”