Other Sports

Fraternity hazing in the early 60s was imaginative and brutal. A number of guys that I went to high school with went on to A&M. They said that the hazing there was incessant and bordered on the sadistic.

Fitzgerald fired

2 Likes

Alabama, where Coach Saban is the least slimy coach among the three major men’s sports.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/07/10/inside-the-alabama-baseball-gambling-scandal

Just saw that. Good news!!

1 Like

Not at mine, thank goodness. My pledge trainer would not let them do any harmful, dangerous, or sadistic things to us. Calisthenics, sleep deprivation, lots of yelling, sneaky tricks which turned out to be cool, but no cattle prods, no hitting, and no physical or sexual abuse.

Ed Reed is following Deion’s footsteps: he’s the new HC at Bethune-Cookman

Danny Ricciardo has replaced Nick DeBris at the AlphaTauri F1 team.

He may leave debris in his wake, but his name is De Vries.

1 Like

Oh, I know. “Debris” is his nickname, which as good a one since “Hunt the Shunt”.

ETA: This has got to have increased the sweating under Perez’ helmet. If Ricciardo blows the doors off Tsunoda in the same car, then he could get called to the big boy team to replace Perez.

Conversely, if Tsunoda is competitive with - or faster than - Ricciardo, then it means that his poor showings are down to the car, and he’s probably a decently competitive driver. As such, Red Bull could look at Tsunoda as a long-term team driver, and decide to slide him into Perez’ seat (NTTAWWT) sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Major League Cricket opens its inaugural season on Thursday.

While cricket is widely ridiculed for being played over 5 days and can end in a tie, it has many different formats. The T20 format is exploding in popularity around the world and - at around 3 hours to complete a game - can be played in an evening.

Simply put, T20 is a pitch-limited match, where each team has 20 overs (6 pitches per over, so that’s 120 pitches total) to score as many runs as possible. The tactics and tradition are dialed down in favor of action and excitement.

It’s pretty wild stuff.

I’ve mentioned floorball here on the board a few times. It’s a game I’m passionate about and have played at a recreational and national (the national level in the states is pretty low, compared to international) level since 2004 or so.

If you have any interest in seeing floorball played at a high level here in the states, The North American Floorball League is kicking off it’s 2nd season this coming week. The Texas Tornadoes (based in Austin) will be hosting the first week here in Georgetown at Southwestern University.

Information/schedule here: Schedule – North American Floorball League

There is a ton of super high level international talent playing in this short league, and it will be a fun watch.

I’ll be working the scoring table for some of the game and will also be in attendance for at least a few of the games Saturday just to watch as a fan.

If you’re interested at all, I highly recommend going and checking it out. It’s going to be a good time.

2 Likes

There’s a soccer game tonight.

2 Likes

I fell in love with Cricket while traveling back and forth to Sydney on business. I got to see parts of a five-day match with Pakistan at the Cricket Grounds, and I remember my hosts being disgusted when the guests scored a hat trick.

Anyway, I often watched from Europe when business took me there, and I really like the strategy in the full 5-day match. The limited overs versions always seemed artificial to me. That said, I would love to see the game catch on here – or at least get a TV deal so I can watch from home.

I just scanned the article – do we know where the teams will be located?

ETA: Limited overs, especially limited to 20, sounds a bit like Homerun Derby with a cricket bat.

Cricket is gooder’n hell and I like 20 wicket cricket (which I myself have compared to a home run derby) as well as a five day test. I’m certainly no one’s idea of a purist, but international test matches, the Indian league, I’ll take whatever ya got.

Basically, it is. Teams will score +/- 200 runs off 10 overs, for an average of 10 runs per over. So, as a spectator, you see 40 overs of cricket with 400 runs scored.

Contrast that to a single day’s play in a 5-day test. They aim to have at least 90 overs bowled over the 6 hours of play (not including lunch and tea), and if 300 runs are scored in the day, that’s considered aggressive. So that’s 3.33 runs per over on a busy day.

Now, to you baseball purists, the pace of a 5-day test may seem more reasonable. The beats of the game are similar to baseball, and a day spent watching the bowlers force the batsmen onto their back foot (yes, that idiom comes from cricket) and keeping them pinned down can be just as enjoyable as the batsmen slugging away. You have time to drink, and socialize, and drink between “deliveries”, so it’s a very pleasant way to pass time.

Or, you can just do you:

1 Like

My first trip to South Africa included a tree days in Port Elizabeth. We were lucky enough to catch an ODI (One Day International) between India and the Yarpies (South Africa) while we were in town. Had very little idea what in the hell was going on and I think most folks just thought it was cool that Americans were watching cricket. I also consumed more alcohol in those eight hours than humanly possible. And that’s saying something considering I spent a season playing rugby in Sydney. If there’s anything Aussies and rugby players know how to do, it’s drink far more alcohol than is medically advisable.

Anyway, as Chuck said, that day of cricket was good’er hell.

3 Likes

It just occurred to me that about 20 years ago I saw a double wicket tournament (home run derby on crack) in the Astrodome in what may well have been the final sporting event held in that esteemed arena, unless of course you’re not one of those horrible snobs who thinks rat hunting does not count as sport.

One does like to hunt in season, of course, and to respect the hunter’s daily limit.

Anyway, there’s a soccer game tonight.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. One of many cricket idioms. My favorite is the sticky wicket.

But to your point, the combination of patience and strategy is what fascinated me. The very fact that the bowler “attacks” the wicket while the batsmen defend gets things off on the right foot.

1 Like

I laughed out loud, loudly.

2 Likes

Pretty good first half from my guys. I would have liked to have seen some better finishes, but we seemed to control the half. (I do know that it’s not the US A+ team here.)

This isn’t the most talented core of guys Panama has fielded since I started following the team, but it’s by some bizarre order of magnitude the best coached. It’s pretty crazy, really. For the first time in like 20 years it looks like these guys are playing the same sport as all the other good national teams.