Other Sports

From what I’ve read, it pretty much boils down to the Rox had to spend something like $40M this offseason to get to the roster salary minimum (novel concept for MLB fans), or else the shortage would simply get divided up equally between the players on the roster while the team would lose its share of luxury tax$ distribution.

VanVleet is a solid PG and it’s only a 2 year deal (3rd year is a team option). Rockets made several other moves yesterday that involve about 4 other incoming guys who I’ve never heard of.

Taking one for the team

1 Like

Think he took two

3 Likes

This Cade Cowell kid for the US Gold Cup team looks really special. Finally a guy who can break defenders’ ankles and actually put shots on frame.

Watching the MLR championship. No skinny guys.

Slowly but surely MLR is raising the standard of rugby in the US.

Crazy that Ma’a Nonu is still playing. He was an NZ All Black when I was playing. And the flanker from San Diego, Christian Poidevin, is the son of a famous Australian rugby player, Simon Poidevin, who was in the last years of his career when I first started playing rugby. Goddamn, I’m getting old.

1 Like

Nonu is 41. Tough loss for SD.

Yeah, five years younger than me. Someone playing rugby professionally at that age, even in lower tier competition like MLR is rarer than hen’s teeth.

Well, this is pretty fucked up:

There was definitely hazing when I played high school football and my first two years of rugby at AU, but nothing like what allegedly happened at Northwestern. When I became captain of the AU rugby team, though, I made damn sure we stopped hazing players altogether.

ETA - if Fitzgerald knew about the hazing and let it happen, fuck that guy. Fire him immediately.

4 Likes

Never been around hazing anywhere. I played three sports all three years in HS and baseball in college for four years so I was on several teams. I also coached more than one sport in HS for nine years. Never saw it, never heard of it during that time.

Closest we ever had was having to carry the seniors’ gear on the last road trip of the season. What happened here is horrible.

Before I got to Austin High, I heard of annual hazing of incoming sophomores by student body males which occurred before school started. I was not subject to it, and it may have been stopped before my soph year. I never heard of or saw hazing on any athletics team I was around.

Back to other sports …, grid is forming at Silverstone. Here’s hoping Hamilton’s Engine melts down.

I am stupidly optimistic for Norris. The McLaren has always had straight line speed, but the recent upgrades have taken it to a new level.

Also, Damian Lewis…:exploding_head:

Sadly, Verstappen is driving away from everyone else. Notably, though, nowhere near as easily as earlier in the season.

McLaren just made a huge mistake, putting both their cars on the hard compound tyres.

It is against my usual tendency to pull for the underdog/ hate the established dominator, but I am firmly on team Verstappen/Redbull.

It may have to do with their position relative to Mercedes in the first 2 seasons of Drive to Survive.

Lance Stroll is a menace.

At least he earned his way on to the grid…

1 Like

Thoughts and prayers