Other Sports

Leicester playing at Newcastle, and they have decided to sacrifice their midfield in order to deploy an additional defender. Presumably Job #1 is protecting their goal difference, which is the tie-breaker they hold over the other teams at the bottom.

So, of course, they’re under siege and can’t break out. Who could’ve seen that coming?

I suspect there’s a lot of these coming. Not yet ready to accept it’s over.

https://twitter.com/J__CPFC/status/1660715402790313985?s=20

Who’s chopping onions…?

1 Like

I just got a call from a friend in Boulder who said he has been up all night celebrating. The Denver Nuggets are making their first trip ever to the NBA finals.

2 Likes

Immortal.

Saka signs a long term deal with Arsenal :heart_eyes:

So not sure where this goes but got talking Ted Lasso with a coworker from Scotland today, and the conversation went to the tribal nature of football fandom in the UK. I asked who his team was, and he said Glasgow Rangers. I asked why and he said “well…because”. Apparently, his family would have disowned him for dating a Catholic girl, but they would have hung him by the neck if she was a Celtic fan. “And I’m not kidding” he says.

1 Like

During my backpacking stint, I met some random Poms on the Khao San Road in Bangkok. Two of them were huge Rangers fans. One told hem he would be willing to fight for his club. The other said he’d be willing to kill for it. Highly doubt either were kidding.

1 Like

On a happier note, this was uplifting:

1 Like

There are few, if any, more hated rivalries in all of sports than the Old Firm

1 Like

It’s funny because it’s true.

1 Like

The Celtics have forced game 6 after going down 3-0.

I have no dog in the fight but if Boston becomes the first 3-0 comeback in both MLB and NBA the insufferability might block out the sun.

5 Likes

My friend, who is from Falkirk, not Glasgow, and he’s not really sure why he’s a Rangers fan either, explained to me “fighting season” in Scotland. Apparently you just brawl. He said as a kid he once asked his dad why he had to smack some poor guy off his barstool and his dad replied, “because we’re Scottish”.

1 Like

There’s a reason that Hadrian built a wall…

4 Likes

Other sage advice…”when you meet a girl, ask her where she went to school. If it’s Saint anywhere, just walk away. Just walk away.”

3 Likes

Holy shit, where were you with this advice 30 years ago?

1 Like

I’m not quite that much of a Scottish Unionist. But, yeah… Mrs. Hawk went to St. Agnes here in Houston, and she has her moments.

2 Likes

Back in the day the private school boys considered St Agnes a target rich environment, except the bombs were mostly duds.

Still true today

1 Like

I’m not sure I want to know how you know that.

From boys efforts to date my daughter at St Agnes. More strikeouts than Abreu.

3 Likes