Other Sports

If any T-Mobile subscribers are interested, you can get MLS Season Pass for free from them, it’s one of their Tuesday deals and ends next week.

I agree with Mr. Pengelly’s astute analysis.

Peak CONCACAF

1 Like

I liked the, “that dog showed more fight than Austin FC,” comment.

1 Like

Austin FC had glaring problems on defense last year, so they went out and got more offense. Solid plan.

And more likely to score than Crystal Palace.

Thank God he fared better than Earl.

2 Likes

Does the same person who owns the Texas Rangers own the Austin soccer team?

Enough of football.

OK. Back to football.

1 Like

Goal line clearances are at least equivalent to a goal, IMHO.

In 2010’s “Survival Sunday” game (a loss in which would likely have seen the club go out of existence), and in both the 2013 playoff semi-final and final, Palace made a goal line clearance. They wouldn’t be the club we know and fall asleep to today without any of those most timely of interventions.

1 Like

When I was a 14, I played one year on a HYSA soccer team. This was in 1970 in Houston, we were all pretty terrible except for the recent Cuban emigree, Jorge Pena – who had thighs like tree trunks while I had toothpicks. Before we ever played a game, I had an asthma attack and it freaked the coach out so much that he made me the back-up goalie. I never got much action but the memory that stands out the most is me making a save like that as time expired to preserve a 1 goal victory. I got dogpiled by my teammates for my effort. That was my only year of playing organized soccer.

2 Likes

I grew up in the supposed “soccer boom” in the 70s. It was very popular with many kids at school. But they were from the other side of the river. I lived south of the river, with guys like Derek Bell and Gary Sheffield. North of the river was home to the country club, Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses, and Pam Bondi. We all went to school together, but I was right on the river, and was zoned for youth sports to the northside. So, I played Little League with the wine and cheese crowd, and on the sandlot with my homies. I never played organized soccer, however.

Soccer came to my hometown in Alabama when I was 10. Right after I flunked out of Little League after a 1 for 13 season at the plate with 12 Ks and 1 BB.

There was only one kid who was really good and he had just moved in from Mass. and had been playing. The rest of us were about the same. It became my sport of choice to play. Played into my 40’s in a denial indoor league. Mostly in goal at that time.

On the best teams I was the utility guy. In college, I played two games where I started in the back, moved to mid, put into goal to save the psyche of the starting keeper and then have a run up front.

I made a few PK saves through the years. An amazing feeling to go from “I don’t have a prayer” to “I did it”

2 Likes

Holy shit, Salah just kicked a penalty three feet wide of the goal, and Liverpool still trial Bournemouthi 1-0. Bournemouth.

Liverpool falls. And Bournemouth jumps over four other teams and out of the relegation zone.

Palace fans are already shitting themselves over relegation. We have severe PTSD in that regard. In the next 8 days, we play Citeh, the Weed and Arsenal.

It’s going to be a long week.

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

2 Likes

Heading to the pub shortly.