Other Sports

So he’s the queen?

1 Like

Don’t mention the war!

Forgive and forget, eh Major? Or at least pretend we do.

EPL morning: you get a red card and you get a red card and you get a red card. EVERYBODY GETS A RED CARD.

Anyone going to the F1 race in Austin tomorrow?

The tickets for tomorrow’s race are just $256.00. I’m passing this year.

I’ll be curious to see if all of the roadwork that’s been going on around there improves the traffic situation. But there’s no way I’m going to go find out firsthand.

You know it’s an absolute shitshow with F1 and UGA/UT in town.

Havertz should get a red card just for existing.

Agree to disagree

I much prefer sprint weekends. If you’re a ticket holder, I imagine it would be similar, as only Thursday is a practice only day.

Sprint weekends you get: sprint qualifying on Friday; the sprint race and GP qualifying on Saturday; and the full race on Sunday.

The sprint race today was lots of fun.

1 Like

The fight for third place today was literally breathtaking. My pulse has finally quieted somewhat as the podium ceremony is finishing up.

1 Like

So did they assess a penalty to Lando?

Overtaking Verstappen is not allowed, so yes.

Everyone else on the inside at that turn got a penalty for forcing another driver off the track. Verstappen was a yard off the track himself, and they penalize Norris.

I simply do not understand why all the rules are adjudicated to Verstappen’s advantage every fucking time.

In the cold light of Monday morning, here’s my slightly better informed take on the Norris-Vertstappen brouhaha: The rules are fucking stupid.

The rule is that a car overtaking around the outside has to be at least level with the other car’s front axle at the apex of the corner in order to earn the right to space on the road. That seems reasonable, unless you’re dealing with a guy who treats real life racing the same way he does his sims racing.

Verstappen simply let off the brakes at the end of the straight, guaranteeing that Norris wouldn’t be level with his front axle at the apex. So what if he thens runs wide off the track? The mere fact of the position at the apex has negated Norris’ overtake . Either Norris has to back off to avoid a collision or, as was the case on Sunday, he has to run wide to avoid a collision. Whatever decision, Max wins.

The fact that Max was, by definition, out of control going into the corner because he was unable to stay on the track has no bearing on the adjudication. Had Norris chosen a not really viable option 3 - stay on the track at let Max hit him - Max likely gets faulted for the crash. But that helps Max too, because Norris needs points while Max doesn’t so, even if Norris is able to continue, most likely he loses places to cars behind him.

The rule cannot be that Max can run his opponent all the way to Bastrop and not be violating the rules. A simple fix would be that drivers must stay within track limits when defending an overtake or forfeit the place.

Meanwhile, the fucking cheats at Red Bull got caught fucking cheating.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-admits-front-bib-device-exists-but-plan-agreed-with-fia/10663585/

Red Bull has admitted that a device to alter its front bib height does exist but insists it cannot be used while the car is assembled.

Sure. And Christian Horner only wants your number so he can text you sourdough bread recipes.

Of course, the FIA has met with Red Bull, gargled all their bullshit, and announced that Red Bull has promised not to use the illegal device. Not…erm…that they had before either, but…erm…definitely not again…I mean…oh fuck it [hands Red Bull all the trophies].

Interesting take – Notice, though, that it is Norris who consistently runs wide all the time anyway, not Max. It seems to me that Max was using the rules to his advantage. Should he not have done that?

Absolutely Max was using the rule to his advantage, which is why the rule has to change. Being able to drive straight on at a corner to fend off an overtake is not only unsporting, it’s dangerous.

FYI, since posting my original rant, I have seen how the FIA adjudicated the situation, and if you thought it was confused before…

1. Norris overtook when off the track, and didn’t immediately return the place, so was administered a 10 second penalty (which is the rule); and
  2. Verstappen forced Norris off the track so was administered a 5 second penalty (which is the rule); so
  3. They netted out the penalties and Norris got added 5 seconds.

Here’s the problem: Oscar Piastri finished 4th, 2 seconds behind Verstappen. By offsetting the penalties, they maintained Verstappen’s 3rd place finish which he should have rightly lost to the other McLaren.

So, even in trying to explain away its Max bias, the FIA reinforces its Max bias.

That is an interesting “explanation” … I guess Piastri got a default 5 second penalty for being the #2 driver?

The actual order should have had Pastri 3rd, Verstappen 4th, and Norris 5th … one point less of an advantage for Max, but three more for McLaren (and less for Red Bull) in the constructors list. Why aren’t Ferrari complaining?

1 Like

I usually for for the underdogs and whoever I perceive to be the good guys.

In F1 I make an exception: Max to the max.

Bend the rules til they break, baby.

Darth Horner is only doing what is in his nature. You can’t ask a tiger to change his stripes or a dong pic taker not to hit ‘send’.

They hate us because they ain’t us.