Other Sports

It’s above my pay grade, but those in the know believe that the new formula applicable to the 2026 season will make the performance of the cars more engine-sensitive than aero-sensitive. This will limit Newey’s ability to move the needle - his cars dominate the aero-sensitive eras but fall back into the pack when the engine is the dominant component.

Bottom line though, Lawrence Stroll is trying to buy his son a world championship and Newey is definitely not going to hurt that effort.

The PL is back this weekend. After the tease of the first few games - which coincided with the whirlwind of the closing of the transfer window - the season starts for real with the teams’ rosters now established (until January, anyway).

I’m excited to see what Glasner can do with what he has.

A NLD win at spuds with the Arsenal B team. Love to see it!

The Azerbaijan GP was an absolute banger. A win for Piastri/McLaren earned on the road by hard racing where, for about 90% of the running, HH could’ve thrown someone’s hat over the front three.

Sub-plots galore:

• Piastri should now be considered the dominant driver at McLaren
  • Norris coming from 8 grid places behind Verstappen to overtake him by the end should be terrifying to Red Bull
  • McLaren had a self-inflicted error free race (Norris’ bad luck in qualifying notwithstanding), which should be terrifying to everyone
  • Red Bull lost the lead in the constructors championship, and is now clearly - at best - the third-fastest car
  • Vestappen finished 5th only by dint of the two cars running immediately ahead of him taking each other out
  • Mercedes has obviously and understandably cut bait on Hamilton
  • Colapinto replacing Sargent is paying off big time, both Williamses in the points

Agree on all points. I was loving the Leclerc/Perez/Sainz battle right up to the “end”. I still can’t figure which (if either) was at fault. Stuff happens quickly at those speeds.

1 Like

From what have seen in post-race reportage, it was a “racing incident”. Basically two drivers wanting the same space on the road and - understandably given the point in the race - neither willing to yield to the other. They touched wheels which is what caused the apocalyptic result; had it been wheel to sidepod, they likely both continue to the end.

In that regard, I just have to highlight the fact that in each of the last two races, Oscar Piastri has executed a stunning overtake for the lead of the race without having to hold a gun to the head of the overtakee. Max Verstappen, despite vastly more F1 experience, has never been this smooth even when driving a superior car.

Piastri is special. And it is hard not to love both McLaren drivers. I think Red Bull has misplaced its wings.

1 Like

deleted

You hate to see it happen to such a lovely bunch.

Fulham exorcising some Newcastle demons today! I swear we get somebody sent off every time we play them. Not today! 3-1 Fulham COYW

1 Like

Chris Richards starting for Palace today vs. Man Utd. Matt Turner on the bench.

Coming up on NBC at 11:30am CDT.

Sadly it looks like Doucouré is injured again. He was Player of the Year for the 22/23 season, and has been perma-injured since. Such a shame; hope this isn’t anything bad.

Eze’s finishing appears to make him a candidate for the USMNT.

1 Like

Yep. Utd are dominating and Palace should be 2 or 3-0 up. Eze’s casualness is his strength and also his weakness.

Richards having a very good game. :muscle:

A point and a clean sheet for Palace. I’ll take it.

Palace goalie Henderson was MVP.

Could easily have been 3-0 to either team.

As the Guardian’s PBP reporter stated, Utd ruled the 1st 43 minutes and Palace were the better side thereafter.

Martinez jumping in two-footed (62 min) was absolutely a straight red - or should have been. The fact that he didn’t break Kamada’s leg is just luck. Attempted murder carries the same punishment as successful murder.

Oscar Piastri is the least Australian Australian that has ever been.

And at the other end of the spectrum, it was great to see Ricciardo get the fastest lap and Driver of the Day.

1 Like

McLaren seems to have finally understood that they have a dominant car and are strategizing accordingly. If they hadn’t brainfucked away a shitload of points this season already, they’d be cruising to both the constructor’s and driver’s championships.

Man City and Arsenal putting on a show for the neutrals (with an assist from the ref). At halftime now. Second half set up to be even more crazy.

City having to resort to the “put Grealish in and hope he can convert a dive in the box” card.

1 Like